Chapter 23

'It's not going to be fun!' She corrected herself quickly when she processed her partner's name.

'How will I look into his eyes for long?' She slowly pondered as Viraj stood in front of her. She raised her head to look at him, but then instantly looked down. He had a faint smirk on his lips.

Everyone cheered for them...mostly for Viraj since he was more popular than Sneha in the group.

Viraj sat on one of the chairs comfortably. He knew he will win. There was no doubt about it.

"Are you going to take forever?" He mockingly asked her when she remained standing in front of her chair.

Sneha looked at him again. Confidence and arrogance reeked from his facial expression. She knew that he knew that he would win.

'Let's burst someone's ego bubble.' She thought to herself before taking the chair confidently. She told herself again and again that she will have to distract herself and think of something peaceful while she stares at her competitor.

So, with this thought, she met his eyes. But, then, she immediately looked away. It was tough for her.

"Okay. Ready?" Tina asked.

Ananya looked at her brother and her friend in anticipation. She wondered who would win...her brother aka King of arrogance...or Sneha, the confident girl.

"Yes." Sneha answered as she finally looked into Viraj's eyes. She had to take a sharp shaky breath as she looked into his emotionless eyes which were already looking into hers. She quickly blinked twice before Tina says 'start'.

Viraj looked into her black expressive eyes. It was no coincidence that she was matched with him for this competition. While everyone had a leisure break, he had silently texted his guard to match his name with Sneha, no matter what name comes for Sneha or himself.

He had wondered why he took the pain of creating this fallacy. And, his rational mind told him that it was a good way to prove her wrong for her earlier statement...of how he was afraid of losing. It would be better to defeat her.

"Okay...So, let's begin. 3...2...1...start." Tina announced excitedly.

Both Sneha and Viraj began their staring contest.

Sneha tried to imagine the scenery of mountains or maybe beaches...But it was so damn difficult. She couldn't think of anything as she found herself, involuntarily, appreciating his eyes. She had never paid attention to them...as she was forced to do now.

'His eyes...are so...beautiful!' She concluded. It had the perfect shape with full lashes. He could make any girl jealous of them. On seeing it closely, she realized that he had brown orbs...a very light shade...but it was brown if one looked into them closely.

She was about to blink involuntarily, when she realized her train of thoughts.

'What's wrong with you, Sneha? Focus! FOCUS!' She scolded herself and slightly squinted her eyes to relieve herself of the natural desire to blink.

"Ooo...It's already been 30 seconds! That's the longest of this night!" Ananya commented as she timed it.

Viraj merely continued his staring. Her eyes were not new to him. He had looked into them many times...too many times. And, he could recognize her eyes even if she wore a burqa!

However, her desire to win this little game, and her amazing performance up till now amazed him. He had never met anyone who had the audacity to stare into his eyes for this long...except his mother who had done it too many times in his childhood while scolding him.