3

As the months pass by zahra'u learn to adjust to the changes in her life, now in her 9month she still doesn't know the state of the baby she's carrying all she knows is that it kick very well,
Some days zahra'u wonder how she will take care of a child when she herself barely have something to eat, she doesn't even have a single baby clothe she don't know how she will cope this baby just come into her life at the wrong time.

It's a Friday night zahra'u is sitting in her bedroom still unable to sleep, her bedroom door open slowly and she knows who to expect she never understand how aunty ummi sleep to the point this old man will sneak to her bedroom,
   zahra'u fear the day aunty ummi will find out about what her husband is doing with her, she look up at the old man with his shining bald head and very ugly face.

"Zahra'u nah." He say walking toward the bed and she crawl back to the wall of the bedroom making him to laugh revealing his toothless teeth.

There are days zahra'u wishe she can kill the man,
There are days she wishe she can scream so loud so his wife will come to her rescue,
There are days she wishe she can do something to protect herself but alas she knows she can't do anything,
She is and will always be a patsy to everyone,
zahra'u fear that she will once again go back to the street, it's not something she want especially now that she's pregnant.

"Zo mana." The man say and climb the bed as the bedroom door bang open.

"Toh yau asirin ki ya tonu bakar munafuka.
No wonder anytime i talk about getting you kick out of this house alhaji bring excuses but today.
Ba kin alkalaminki ya bushe sabida yanzu nan zaki bar gidan nan ." aunty ummi say and drag zahra'u from the bed.

"Come out,
Stupid home wretcher you can go back to where you came from the street daman chan alhaji ya kwaso ku ke da uwarki,
Get out of my house." She say throwing the Ghana must go bag on zahra'u as she cry.

"Aunty ummi please
Wlh alhaji ne kullum ya ke zuwa wajena
Please forgive me." Zahra'u say holding aunty ummi by the leg but she kick her.

"Get out right now." Aunty ummi say dragging zahra'u and the two Ghana must go bags out of the house as her children come out of there bedroom.

"Mummy what's going on?" Hassana ask and there mother narrate everything to them.

The three girls instantly help there mother, dragging zahra'u out of the compound and throw her outside the gate with her two bags.

Zahra'u cry sitting in front of the gate, she scan the quiet dark sorrounding in fear, the area isn't very safe, things are perilous especially at night, she wipe her tears and grab the two Ghana must go bag.

She scan the quiet area and begin quietly walking around the tree shadows to the nearby roadside.

Zahra'u wonder how her life will be from now henceforth, homeless and pregnant how is she going to cope,
After a very long tiring walk to the roadside, zahra'u sit tiredly with the two bags, she watch the less busy road with people moving up and down doing there regular activities as if it's day time.

"Ke,
What are you doing here?" A man ask she look up at him not knowing what to say.

He stare at her,to the pregnancy bump on her and the two bag in her hand.

"Kema yan je ki zaki gani ne koh,
I can take you somewhere to spend the night and tomorrow morning i will take you to hajiya larai house." He say and zahra'u give him a suspicious look.

"Nagode amma babu in da zanje." Zahra'u say and the man laugh.
as you wishe but you should know that the street isn't a place to survived, you give and you live,
Nothing is free here." He say and walk away.

Zahra'u sigh as a yawn escape her mouth, she wonder what time is it,
She remove a wrapper inside her bag and lay it on the floor, she use one of the bag to support her head and clutch the other to her chest.
As she stare at the street that night zahra'u wonder how her mother survived all this.

The blaring of vehicles is what awaken her, she slowly open her eyes and is suprise to see the bright morning light, she sit upright with a sigh and look around the busy road,
Her mind drift to yesterday night and she breakdown, zahra'u can't process the fact that she will have to live on the street, regardless the condition she is in aunty ummi's house atleast she has a roof under her head and eat even do is not much, sure enough life is better than the place she is now.

She look around her sorrounding and spot a middle age woman arranging some big Warner's on a table by the roadside it look like she's a food vendor, zahra'u stand up with a sigh,
She grab the wrapper she use to sleep with her two bags and head to meet the woman from across the road.

"Good morning ma'am." Zahra'u greet and the woman look u at her giving her a distasteful look.

"Ehen kilode
Wetin you want?" She yell and zahra'u stare at her in frighten.

"I....I...i am looking for work to do." Zahra'u say and the woman glance at the big pregnancy bump and two bags in her.

"Where your parents?
This one you have two Ghana must go and pregnancy where you from?" She ask and zahra'u gulp down the saliva on her mouth not knowing what to say.

"Please ma'am just give me the work,
I can cook, wash plate , sweep and anything please." Zahra'u say and the woman look at her for a while and node.

"OK.
Drop your bag there,
Come sweep here and arrange the tables customers go soon come." She say and zahra'u node.

That day is a long one for zahra'u she do all the chores around there, from washing the plates and arranging the table the only thing the lady who she heard everyone calling mama sikirat don't allow her serve the customers saying she's pregnant, regardless mama sikirat yelling zahra'u feel a lot more comfortable, she eat as much as she want and mama sikirat allow her to sleep in the small shop and also promise to pay her 5000 every month zahra'u was so happy that she hug mama sikirat without knowing,
Sure enough zahra'u thought it's the beginning of a positive change in her life but for how long will that last?

Drop your comments, votes and share.

I love you all.