Moomin x Snufkin x neglected nonbinary reader

((NOTE; this is a polyamorous relationship! It isn't a love triangle or cheating, we accept people in this household!))

((WARNING; this contains references to abuse and abusive situations, nothing is shown, but I'd let that be known just in case, have a nice day.))

A camp sat aside a river's bank, a tent built for two, but holding three.
One mumrick laid to the left, his right arm tossed over two he cherished as his loves.
A moomin laid to the right, his left arm wrapped around the waist of the third, opposite hand underneath the third to hold the hand of the mumrick.
The third laid in between the two, securely tucked away and warmed by the two who were basically warm furs on a cold winter's day.

The three craved the thrill of adventure, the curiosity of the world and the want to experience whatever was held outside Moomin valley.
The third and the mumrick were not raised in Moomin valley like the moomin was, but lived very different upbringings then each other.
The third lived in the forest of the north as a child, in a home refusing to give love.
They ran away to the south, discovering Moomin valley as a wild thing who scared the other children.
The mumrick grew up with his large family to the south east, but was frequently on long adventures with his father until he grew of age to travel on his own.
He then discovered Moomin valley and made friends with the moomin, who both in turn became friends with the wild thing that haunted the forests.

The three grew up together, existed as almost one, never going anywhere without the other two not far behind.
Adventure after adventure, loss after loss, the three of them stuck together like the spine of a book, it's pages and the ink that brought together a story.
All now asleep in a tent they had all been considering their moving home for months now, the three were soon bringing their latest adventure to a close.

The three had started traveling together only a few months previously, as the mumrick had confessed that yes; he enjoyed his freedom and to come and go as he pleased, but it was becoming more difficult with each leave, as he missed the people he cherished the most.
In a series of perfectly connecting events, the third had requested they travel up to the north to try and find their family, only to discover their home a pile of ash.
The third had stood there for what could've been hours, days, maybe even weeks, but as their eyes opened and they once again became conscious, they understood they no longer stood before the remains of a place they could never consider a home, but laid with whom filled that void.

The warmth was more than nice, but they needed to breath, needed to be in the open of the night sky and the chirping cicadas in their overwhelming symphony.
Slipping away was a specialty they had picked up as a child and still used to this day, stepping out of their lover's tent to the cold rush of wind outside, the type that stung your eyes and created puddles of tears behind your eyelids.

Tears flowed freely, the wind causing an unstoppable tide of overwhelming emotion and ocean's water.
Panic seized them by the front of their shirt and pulled them to the earth, grass and rocks digging into their flesh as a reminder of who they were, that they existed and were real.
No matter how much wind swirled around them, there was never enough air to get into their lungs.
Dull and chipped finger nails tangled their way into the old pajamas shirt they'd received much too long ago, wrinkling the fabric and making it tighten over their shoulders.

Words were spoken that never reached their ears, mumrick paws caressed their face that were warm and fought away the sting of the wind, soon wrapped from front to back in the familiar scent of who they loved.
Breath soon returned to their lungs, eyes still able to give tears, but refusing to.
An apology died on their lips when a gentle paw rubbed at their face and a moomin's tail wrapped around their leg, giving a comfort they still felt was too alien for someone like them.
Once again laid down and even more exhausted then before, the mumrick and the moomin then looked to each other with worry, but with a sense of adoration for who laid between them.

You were you.

Snufkin was Snufkin.

Moomin was Moomin.

You deserved better then what was offered to you and your two loves would make sure you revived it ten fold.