"Zara!" Hazel exclaimed. A mass of gray hair and battered features could be seen as the witch bent forward against the restraints in the back seat of the royal vehicle.

Ezekiel opened his door from the other parked cars and walk out at this moment to assist the royal guards if they needed the help.

"Aun-tie." Zara choked out. Big welling tears threatened to spill over her already tear streaked face. "Alpha," she struggled to peep out. "My aunt is not a threat. She can't do magic, and even if -"

Bryce studied her for one lingering moment. A torrent of emotions stormed his menacing eyes. His gaze sized her up and took in her haphazard appearance and then stopped to look at her neck. Something switched inside of him. In response, Rolland and I each grabbed a wrist to yank Zara back as my Alpha came towards Zara. It seems like Bryce had intended to smack her.

Before I could read his reaction my eardrums were victimized by an awful screech forcing me to wince in the terse moment. "You disrespectful little shit! The Alpha doesn't answer to filthy rogues!" Ezekiel Graham looked from her to me. "And you Beta -"

Alpha Bryce raised his hand up to stop him from advancing further and growled a warning at him from over his shoulder.

"I will protect my Alpha Luna." Rolland calmly stated with his head bowed but his body itching to gain coverage over Zara's on the balls of his feet.

I felt somewhat relieved now that the anger seemed to have left Alpha. Unconsciously, I made the mistake to ensure that Zara was okay. To my demise I found that she looked dead inside. In that moment I realized that all her hopes that made her eyes shine even though there wasn't a strong light source were now dulled. What remains for her life in her position are all her fears that she candidly shared with me were actually coming true. 'And I helped her walk into her own nightmare.'

"Conlan." My Alpha turned to me. "Please explain. And this time you don't have the luxury of running away from me." He glared.

Everyone was now waiting on my response. "As your Beta and friend I beseech you to listen and trust that I have our pack's and your best interests at heart." I folded my right arm over my chest and used my left hand to cup his broad shoulder. "Apart from this mission, I have never given pause for concern before. And I will give my life for all the members here."

Finnbar brushed the confines of our wolf bonds in order to say that my words have affected this great man.

"Alright."

A surge of energy coursed through my veins. I felt compelled to take over and let my normally stuffed Alpha bossiness come unrestrained.

"James, take Zara to the clinic. Yvette is ready for her. Zara, go with him quietly. Theo, get The Veiled Moon Pack members situated in the barracks. They start their training with our pack in the morning at zero five hundred." I gave one last look at Zara who was staring at her aunt silently exchanging looks of loss. "Alpha. Let's go to your office."

We walked side by side up to the front door of our home while everyone else dispersed to follow my commands.

"What about us, Alpha?" The lieutenant asked as Ezekiel shook in anger. His fury was evident on his face. The little shit's nostrils were flaring and his fangs threated to protrude.

Bryce glanced at me and nodded. Pride and a sense of completeness as if the jig-saw puzzle was within sight of being completed was laid out in front of me.

"No more harm should come to the witch. Make sure she gets to a clean and comfortable cell at the prison. Give her medical aid and some food and water. Have a female guard get her some clean clothes and a tub of clean water and soap to wash with."

Silence followed as the lieutenant no older than me stared at me in disbelief.

"Now." I command.

He looked at the back of Alpha Bryce's head. Bryce sensed that he was being watched turn slightly over his shoulder and nearly scared the pants off the royal lieutenant. The officer scrambled up to his vehicle before motioning for the rest of the silent officers inside to get the command done. Alone now Ezekiel looked straight at me and narrowed his eyes before he smirked.

Before I could challenge him Bryce nudged me impatiently and I shrugged off the bad vibes from that gnat. 'There are more important things to take care of than that fucker.'

Inside the pack house I felt my home embrace me. Another piece laid down on the puzzle. My steps were getting heavier the closer we got to the Alpha's office. No matter how hard I thought of a way to tell him, there weren't any ideas or ways that would save him from pain.

'Finnbar is quiet. He won't respond to me.' Karr confessed.

'We'll be there for him though. That's all we can do.'

Once inside the office I locked the door. Instead of Bryce taking his usual spot behind the desk he sunk down in the old leather couch and folded his hands under his chin to steady himself while he looked at me blankly.

"She's gone isn't she."

"Yes." I respond in kind as I plump down into my normal chair and swivel it to face him.

"How?"

"Bryce."

"Just tell me. I think a part of me knew. It was just a stupid wish that she'd have a happily-ever-after. And selfish of me to think that after being rejected during that turbulent time would result in that way." He closed his heavy eyes. "It was my wish and prayer for her that I never gave up on though."

"I want to tell you many things. But I will tell you she did find happiness before her death." He lifted his heavy lids again to watch me. "She was killed during The Siege."

"Thank you for telling me and finding out this information for me. It's not a part of my life I like discussing, but I don't regret finding my mate. I'll be damned my whole life because of it but I can't regret the choices I made that I thought would benefit my pack or my king. Please tell me about the witch and rogue now. The little she beast seems to have a hold over all who she encounters, especially you." He accuses.

"I would love to know why she does too. One or two theories are jumbled in my mind. Maybe after I tell you everything you'll help me understand." He nods in understanding. "And she's not a beast."

"Hmm." Bryce gets up to the cabinet on the far side of the room and pulls out two unopened bottles of whiskey. After Bryce just sets one down in my lap he pops the sealed top off and takes a long chug of the amber liquid and lazily sprawls in the corner of the worn couch. It's a scene I haven't seen before, but it was one that looked like Bryce was accustomed to.