{64} Questions

"How many times are you going to ask me about Shane Nolan? I told you what I know. Can I go now?" I asked annoyingly while tapping my nails on the gray table.

Detective Ames and Riley have been asking me questions about Shane Nolan for an hour and I was losing my mind! I wasn't lying or telling the truth. If I told them that I knew Shane Nolan, they were going to take it to a whole new level and ask me if Shane Nolan and I were friends. Like hell we were friends. But I did want to see him, kind of.

"Sure, I need to ask you a few questions," Detective Ames said. I sighed and watched him walk around me. "Where were you on the Halloween night?"

"I was out, doing trick-or-treat with my little brother," I said looking down at my sneakers.

"Mhmm and what happened?"

"I told you what happened. I'm not going to repeat it."

"Well, you have to, if you want to leave." I sighed again. I wished Cassandra never told the cops. How could she do that to me? No. I shouldn't be thinking about her. Blank mind. I took a deep breath and let it out. "Two older guys jumped out of nowhere while we walking-"

"Where?" Detective Ames interrupted me.

"On the road so a car could hit us," I said sarcastically. He chuckled and putted his hands in his pockets.

I sighed and started talking again, "We started to talk. And no, I don't remember what we were talking about. I was seeing red when his friend slapped my little brother. I-" I stopped when I remembered what happened. Shane Nolan's blood, Eden's frighten face, his friend screaming for him, me checking Shane Nolan's pulse, calling the police, and dragging Eden away from Shane Nolan's body.

I shuddered and shook my head to get rid of all those memories as I started to sweat, and I could feel my heart's beating getting faster and faster. I took a deep breath, and opened my fists and held my knees which started to bounce stressfully.

 "Look, it wasn't my fault. I didn't mean to push the guy down. I was angry when his friend slapped my little brother," I resumed. Detective Ames nodded and sat down on the chair. We were face-to-face and he opened his mouth to say something when the door flied opened.

"Let him go," Detective Riley said, Detective Ames blinked his eyes and slowly got up.

"Why?" He asked and glanced at me. I flicked my hair away from my eyes and I got up, too.

"He's right. We got Shane Nolan's best friend and he said the same as this kid said," said Detective Riley. He nodded towards the door and I felt excited that I was being out. When I walked to the door, I stopped and turned around.

"Can you not call my dad and tell him about this?" I asked and they looked at each other and laughed.

"Of course we're going to call your parents. They need to know where you are," Detective Ames said. My excited face dropped and wanted to ask them more questions but I just bit my tongue and shut up. I was going to walk out again when I realized something.

"How can I leave when I'm only seventeen years old? Shouldn't I be eighteen to walk out?" I asked.

"Ms. Ryther is here to pick you up," Detective Riley said. I sighed and told them goodbye and walked out of the small room. There was a big glass mirror that you can't see them but on the other side, they could see you and hear you. It was kind of creepy but I watched a lot of movies that had that. I never thought I would be in a police station. I walked out of the police station and saw Cassandra sitting on a black bench next to the police station. I glared at her as she got up.

"Listen Zayden, I know you're mad at me for telling the cops but I had to," she said, trying to reason with me.

"No you didn't. I thought I could trust you!" I screamed. She looked around and saw two people looking at us. I glared at them and they walked quicker.

She sighed and looked at me straight in my eyes. "I'm sorry okay. I was only doing my job."

"So you did this because of your job? You thought telling the cops would make my life easier?" I asked, and walked away from her. I heard her footsteps behind me and she was walking next to me now.

"No, I did it because it was the right thing to do. If I haven't told the cops that you did something to a poor man, I would lose my job."

I stopped and turned to her, chuckling. "I never thought of you as a selfish person. I thought you would protect someone even if they did something wrong." 

She didn't say anything but a sorrow and shocked eyes. I took a step closer to her, and looked at her eyes. "Shane Nolan tried to rape me and Eden. Shane Nolan's friend slapped Eden because he was screaming his head off. I pushed Shane Nolan because of my anger. I guess you want to tell the cops that, too." I walked away from her and this time she didn't try following me.