31 | You're Exactly the Same as the Old Days

Y/N

I planned to meet Amalie at a coffee shop along the river for coffee in the morning, to catch up and to discuss what she knew about Tom's case against Priya. To fit in with the early morning crowd doing their walks along the esplanade, I wore typical work out attire; tights, a loose singlet and a sports bra. In typical Amalie fashion, she met me at the cafe wearing the complete opposite to what I was wearing; a flowy white blouse, a patterned skirt and heels. They weren't necessarily tall heels, but any height of heels at 7:30am gave me a headache just thinking about.

She had ordered me a coffee already when I met her out the front, her long acrylic nails gripping the takeaway cup as she smiled at me. She remembered my coffee order, how nice.

"Long time no see, I thought you'd have been thrown in jail by now," she taunted as I thanked her for the coffee and greeted her.

"If you think I'd ever get caught in the first place then you don't know me as well as I thought you did. Nice shoes," I teased back, sipping the coffee and taking a deep breath.

"I'm on the way to work, fuck off," she laughed.

We started walking along the river, multiple cyclists and joggers passing us with a few giving us strange looks from out vastly different outfits. Regardless of this, we caught up on the last several months we hadn't been working together.

Amalie had only briefly mentioned that she killed her ex boyfriend after he cheated on her prior today. Once I asked a few more questions and dug a little deeper however, I learnt that he did not in fact die straight away from the impact of her car hitting him, no, no, he died after she reversed over his body, then ran him over for a third time.

She's determined, I can say that much.

"So what could you find out about Priya Ramakrishnan?" I asked, sipping my coffee again as I grasped it with both hands. It was giving me the tiniest bit of warmth in the brisk morning air.

"She's got a weird file... I did some digging on her to try and get a backstory. She's worked at the same finance company for nine years, ever since she graduated university. Her parents emigrated in the eighties, she doesn't have siblings and she's never gotten so much as a parking ticket let alone a major felony like murder. How come she's all of a sudden killed like eight people? It's weird," Amalie said twisting her mouth to the side as she thought.

I admit, I didn't tell her that I had framed her. I also didn't tell her that I worked for Priya or that Priya had been insife my house. I kept it as minimal as possible, I simply told Amalie that Tom was offered a plea bargain if he coughed up valuable information and that I wanted to know if we were safe from Priya. And of course, she knew that I was seeing Tom again.

"And you missy, you didn't tell me you used to date notorious mobster Tom Holland now did you? Nor did you tell me you were currently seeing him again..." She frowned, making me feel guilty.

Look, I know I kept Tom a secret from my workplace for a long time. But how could she blame me? We worked for the federal fucking police force! When we were colleagues, she met Tom once after begging me to bring him to work events, but she never found him on social media, she never asked for his last name and she never thought of me to be the type of girl to date a criminal let alone be one myself.

"Surprise? I don't know, did you really expect me to waltz into work and declare that my entire life was a lie? Hey team, I never got my psychology degree, I'm dating the leader of the country's number one most dangerous crime group and I have also killed someone. Happy Monday! Imagine that as a fucking email," I laughed.

"You could have at least told me," she pouted.

"I didn't know who was dirty and who wasn't... And then after I did some digging I found out you killed your ex and I was like, oh okay she's more chilled than I thought," I reasoned with her.

"Anyway, moving on. Priya was brought in for questioning at her local police station on Wednesday, she was released from custody within 24 hours and they've currently bugged her house with recording devices and have a GPS tracker on her car. Other than that, they're in the midst of doing a comms scan to get into her emails and texts and stuff. That's all I know so far," she shrugged.

"That's more than enough information. Now that I know the investigation has started and they're looking into her, I know to be extra careful," I laughed, giving Amalie a quick hug as she told me she should start making her way to the police precinct.

"I'll message you to meet up again if there's anything urgent that might come along but other than that, everything seems pretty normal. Once they get information linking her to at least one of the murders, she'll be detained properly and locked up," Amalie nodded, checking her phone and groaning when she realised she was running late.

She and I parted ways as I put my headphones in and decided to walk back up the river towards Tom's apartment. I know he'd be awake and working out by this time so I'd probably be able to have breakfast with him. Tom makes good breakfast. I like his breakfasts.