29 | Heart Broken in a Good Way

Y/N

After Haz rang Tom, he hung up and instantly called the officer in charge for his house arrest. The hospital was outside of his approved radius and apparently the officer was actually pretty cool. He said that the tracking systems would know if Tom left the radius and alert the local authorities but if he went with us, he could let it slide.

He wasn't a dirty cop in the way we were used to, you know, the ones who blatantly break the law and do the complete opposite. This guy, was more of a rule bender. He only broke the rules for a good cause he said, and his best friend having his first baby was apparently a good enough cause.

He came to Tom's apartment to pick us up but Tom asked politely if he was allowed to drive his own car and just have the officer follow us. Again, the officer said he could bend the rules and let that happen. Of course, he lectured Tom about what would happen if he took off and tried to escape. But right now, Tom was on his best behaviour because he had a baby to hopefully meet.

It was weird being in the passenger seat with Tom driving again. I mean, his approved radius was barely enough to drive down the street and back, he hadn't driven since before prison. And boy could you tell, he picked his most expensive car and fucking revved the life out of it in the garage, grinning widely to himself when he felt the Lamborghini roar.

"Alright Casanova, calm down. We need to make it to the hospital in one piece tonight okay?" I laughed as he spiralled up from the underground garage to the street where the parole officer was waiting to follow us.

The drive to the hospital was nice, it was weird though. Usually at the orange lights, Tom would speed up instead of slowing down; he would always try and beat the red light. But tonight, slowing down and stopping for the red light meant more time out on the open road.

He rested his hand on my thigh as we drove, with the windows down listening to the purr of the engine and the wind through our hair. He was so excited and happy to experience something as simple and mundane as this, purely because he hadn't driven in months. Once I caught him just sitting inside one of his cars in the garage crying because he had missed his freedom. So it was nice seeing him smile again.

The officer, who's name I still can't remember and I feel bad if I ask for it again, escorted us into the hospital and talked to Tom and I excitedly about how small and cute babies were. He was a sweet guy, you could tell he treated his ex-convicts with respect, especially bending the rules for us like this. And we showed his respect and appreciation in return.

"So how do you know the parents?" He asked as we stood in the elevator waiting to go to the maternity ward.

"The dad is basically like my brother. We've known each other since we were little lads wearing nappies," Tom smiled, rubbing his clammy hands together nervously.

Our excitement was quick to wear off when the nurse alerted Haz of our presence and he came out to the waiting room. Embracing each other in a large hug, Haz was shocked that Tom was here and not on house arrest. He hugged me afterwards and told us that Robyn was still having contractions and the baby wasn't here yet. Who knows how long we'd be waiting.

Tom didn't mind though, he loved being anywhere but his apartment. He was excited. He talked to the nurses about their life stories. He bought almost everything inside the vending machine. He flicked through all the magazines and he told me about how nice the mens bathroom soap smelt for a weirdly long amount of time.

Like I told him, post-prison trauma can appear in many ways. I guess this excitement is just a positive effect, he could be a lot worse.

Almost two hours passed and Haz came out in scrubs with a grin on his face and a sweaty forehead. The baby was finally born. Tom's parole officer woke up from his accidental nap in the waiting room chair and told us he would wait here and that Tom and I could go and see Robyn alone. Which again, we really appreciated.

Robyn looked tired but still effortlessly perfect. She had eyelash extensions and her eyebrows were neatly done, which made her look even more put together than I did. And she'd just given birth for Christ's sake.

She was cradling the baby which was born a little while ago. They had the nurses check for any issues and then returned him to his mother to try and breastfeed. And of course, like the rest of Robyn's life, she had done it perfectly already.

"Do you want to come meet him?" She said quietly, looking down at the sleeping baby against her bare chest and half underneath a blanket

I stood next to Haz as we both watched Tom walk over to Robyn's bed in a dream like trance, completely drawn to the baby like a magnet. He scooped the baby up so delicately, cradling its head like it was the most fragile thing in the world.

"What's his name?" Tom said smiling down at the little cherub in his arms as his brows furrowed. He looked worried, like he was scared to hurt such a delicate little human.

"Oliver Brian Thomas Osterfield," Robyn smiled.

Tom's breath hitched.

"Robyn's family always gave their babies two middle names. So Brian is after my step-dad who passed away, and Thomas, well that's after his godfather," Haz smiled, looking at Tom who had a few stray tears falling down on his cheeks.

"Ollie mate, it's your new best friend Tommy..." Tom sniffled, tilting his head up towards the ceiling to try and rid himself from the tears he was crying. He couldn't wipe his face of course, he was holding a precious newborn.

I walked over to Tom and wiped under his eyes with the sleeve of my sweatshirt, smiling at him before looking at the baby for the first time.

My heart broke, in a good way though. Like, it was being crushed with immense love. I've never really been around babies before, and I always the light they were kind of ugly wrinkled walnut looking aliens. But fuck me, Oliver was just stunning.

"Hey little man, gosh you are such a handsome boy... You're going to break a lot of hearts aren't you?" I whispered, running my fingertips lightly across the side of his soft and supple cheek.

Fucking hell, babies are so tiny. How are they so small?

"I can't believe you guys made this," Tom chuckled, still trying to shake off the fact he was crying. You could tell he was slightly embarrassed by showing such emotion over a baby.

"I couldn't be more proud of my pretty girl, she was so strong during all of this... And look at my son... He's just perfect isn't he? He got his Mama's looks," Haz smiled, sitting on the end of Robyn's bed and looking up at Tom and I.

The word love didn't even come close to describing what Tom was feeling towards this little bundle of joy. I have never in my life seen Tom express this type of emotions He was completely and utterly smitten by him. He was just, broken in a good way.

"I can't believe I'm here to meet you mate... I thought I'd be locked away. Oh man... We're going to have so much fun together one day. I'll give you your first cigarette and teach you how to flirt with the ladies," Tom joked, laughing when Robyn reprimanded him for being a bad influence to their son.

It was nice to hear those words come out of her mouth though: their son.