21 | For Better or For Worse, You've Changed

Y/N

Tom was different after his time in jail. He walked the same, he talked the same, he said all the same jokes, but he was still just a little off. Not entirely though, at first glance I wouldn't be able to notice his changes but the ex-psychologist in me was hyper fixated on analysing him. I know how jail can fuck people up. I've seen it all too much before.

What alerted me to the fact he was different, was when he flinched as I grabbed his arm last night. We were just standing in the kitchen and as he was pouring us both a glass of wine, I reached out to him to tell him to sit down and let me do it. He jumped, the bottle spilling a dash of red wine on the counter before he swore under his breath. He took a deep breath and turned to me with an apologetic look, saying sorry to me for not knowing where anything was to clean it up.

"Hey, hey, don't apologise. Everyone spills stuff," I said grabbing a cloth from the sink and wiping up the little spill.

"You just scared me for a second, sorry," he laughed uncomfortably, leaning against the bench and pulling his glass towards him.

When someone needs to relax, the last thing they want to hear is someone telling them 'you just need to calm down' or 'you should relax'. So, I quickly hopped to the living room to change the television channel and let soft and smooth jazz spill from the speakers.

"What are you doing? I was enjoying that Squid show, I was just getting used to reading subtitles and watching the actors at the same time," Tom pouted.

"I'm just happy you're home, I'm happy I get to see you in your own clothes again and I'm happy we're back together again," I said picking up my glass and clinking it against his prior to taking a sip.

Holding the glass in my hand, I stretched my arms over his shoulders and started swaying my hips gently, each movement in sync with the music. He chuckled, put his glass down and he'd his hands against my hips.

"Why are we dancing in the kitchen?" He laughed again, pulling me closer as I put my drink down.

"Why not?"

"You're insane... But I love you for it," he smiled, pulling me against his chest and swaying to the music softly. I rested my head on his shoulder, smiling to myself that it was just Tom and I together again; just us against the world.

Now the second thing I noticed about Tom was that he woke up insanely early. Like, I was already awake this morning and out stumbles a sleepy Tom with messy bed hair and tracksuit pants slim low on his hips.

"Good morning sunshine!" I said semi sarcastically, surprised at the fact he was out of bed so early. I guess the jail routine had impacted his sleeping pattern. In a way, it was good because he used to have such late nights before.

"Do you want a tea?" He asked, going to the kitchen after walking past me on the couch with my laptop.

"Normally I'm the one to make you a cup, are you even good at making tea?" I questioned, watching him open five cupboards before finding the one with mugs and tea cups.

He commented that the cups were nice before putting the kettle on and smiling to himself. I just silently watched him move from the kitchen bench to the large floor to ceiling windows and go out onto his balcony. Of course, it was the first time he was seeing his new apartment during daylight.

The balcony, looked over the London Birdge, a panoramic view of river Thames and the sprawling city. It was stunning to say the least, I didn't blame him for wanting to go out and take in the blissful morning sun on the water.

This was the third thing I had noticed about Tom, a good difference to his jail visit. He appreciated the little things now. He liked scrolling through Netflix for ages, he loved hearing sounds out the window and he loved how soft his pillow was. He smiled in the shower, at the sink brushing his teeth, he just enjoyed the smallest things we usually all take for granted.

The kettle stopped boiling and I made us both cups of tea, not wanting to pull Tom away from seeing his new property in all its basking glory. He was smiling to himself, grinning widely in fact, absolutely in awe of the world around him. I placed his cup on the edge of the balcony quietly which made him notice I had come outside after him.

"Oh! Shit, sorry I completely forgot about the kettle. Thank you Darling... I just- I'm so happy to be free again you know? Just little things like birds flying past and feeling the breeze in my hair... It just- I dunno, it made me happy," he said softly, on the verge of tears as his voice cracked.

"And this view is to die for, seriously when I first got the keys and moved your stuff in I was absolutely blown away seeing this," I chuckled, resting my elbows on the balcony wall and staring out at the horizon.

"Wait, you moved my stuff? I thought you were just checking in on the decorators and you hired removalists," he said cocking his eyebrow up.

"Yeah but you only had a few boxes at Haz's house with clothes and personal stuff considering you sold basically everything inside your old place... So Haz and I drove all your cars here, I bought you some alcohol for the wine cellar and Robyn and I unpacked and organised your clothes and watches and stuff. Oh! And Haz and I brought over all your guns too," I shrugged, not thinking too much of it.

"Fuck, you're too good to me," he said pulling me into his side and kissing the side of my temple.

"Yeah I know, so don't forget it," I taunted, leaning my head against him and taking a deep breath of fresh crisp morning air. It wasn't particularly early anymore, perhaps only half past eight, but the soft sun was divine.

"I made that mistake once already and trust me, I'm not letting myself lose you again."