14: Up A Creek Without A Paddle

Start from the beginning

Ilham shrugged. "Okay."

In the wee hours of the day, Najah woke up and went into the bathroom to perform ablution for nafl.  She prayed for the best in the situation she was in. She wished she could turn back the hands of the clock and do things differently. She felt she had shot herself in the foot.

Unlike Ilham who had gone back to sleep right after Fajr, Najah didn't. She couldn't. She stayed up wondering what Jameel was doing. If he was already awake and getting ready to go home or if he was still in bed. Well, there was only one way to find out.

Najah picked her phone. She hesitated for a while before dialing his number, and to her disappointment, he didn't pick up. But the disappointment was shortlived as he immediately returned the call.

"Assalamualaikum, Najah," came Jameel's groggy voice.

Indisputably, Najah had woken him. She felt bad to have called at the wrong time. Only if she had been able to control the urge to hear his voice. It had been more than a day. She missed him. "Wa alaikum Salam...did I wake you?"

"Yes," he admitted.

Najah felt even worse by the fact that he didn't try to lie to make her feel less guilty.

"But it's fine. I'm even grateful for that. I was supposed to wake up thirty minutes ago but my alarm failed me. Thank you."

Najah smiled, glad. "How was your journey yesterday?"

"Okay." He replied. "I arrived safely. No traffic whatsoever."

Najah hummed in response. "You know, you shouldn't have make Asim go through the trouble of bringing his wife here yesterday."

"Actually, I didn't make him. I talked to him about how uncomfortable I was leaving you by yourself and he volunteered to take his wife to spend the night with you."

"So," Najah's demeanor contorted in disappointment. She wasn't disappointed in Jameel. She was disappointed in herself for having her hopes up after promising herself to be wiser. "You didn't ask him to do it?"

"Yeah, but I'm grateful he did. Has she left?"

"No. She's still sleeping. We slept quite late yesterday."

"Why? What kept you?"

"We were baking."

"Oh, really? Nice."

Silence followed. Najah so badly wanted to ask him about his situation with Afrah. She took a moment to think about it and finally decided not to hold back. She had to let him know he was wrong for keeping her in the dark. Did he think she would be unhappy for him?

"I heard Afrah's parents have agreed to allow you to get married to her. Ilham told me."

"I wanted to tell you..." Jameel began. "It skipped my mind. I'm sorry."

It skipped your mind to tell me but not your friend. It shows our level of importance to you—Najah wished she could tell him these exact words but she didn't want to sound bitter.

"I was surprised. They agreed without me even having to talk to them. The father wants to see me."

"The wedding is in two months?"

"Yes."

Najah didn't fail to catch the joy in Jameel's voice. She found herself smiling at that. All traces of regret she had earlier instantly dissipated in the air. All she was after was Jameel's happiness. His happiness meant much more than hers. "But isn't it too...you know, fast?"

"If it was up to me, I'd want it done tomorrow." He laughed. "Afrah is bothered about insignificant things like getting a dress made. Can you imagine? I told her to put on one of the dresses she owns but she refused." He sighed.

Najah chuckled. "Are you for real? It's her wedding. Of course she would want to look her best. But why am I even telling you this? You're not a girl, you won't understand how our minds work."

"I guess."

"You must be really excited for the wedding."

"Can't you tell?"

"I'm excited too..." Her voice trailed. "for you." From the depths of her heart, she was. "By the way, when are you coming home?"

"I won't sleep in Minna. I will come home after I talk to her parents."

"Okay. What should I prepare for you?"

"Anything. You're so good at cooking. I'm sure anything you cook for me would be delicious. I'm okay with whatever you're okay with."

Najah felt the butterflies in her stomach erupt. Jameel was such a smooth talker. He had his way with words. If there was anything that has kept Najah hopeful, then it would be the little compliments from her husband. It made her believe he would create a space for her in his heart someday. She wasn't aiming to take anyone's place. She wanted her own place in his life and heart. "Alright then."

"And is there anything you'd like me to get for you from Katsina?"

"Just come home safely. It's all I want." Najah didn't wait for his reply before ending the call.

She heaved a sigh. No matter how hard she had tried to keep her feelings for Jameel at bay—in order not to hurt herself—he would compliment her and she would become all giddy like a highschool girl in love all over.

Assalamualaikum/hello!

I'm so sorry for the late update. I was supposed to update three days ago but I lost my draft 😭 I had to rewrite the chapter. I feel the first one was better and longer 💔

Do you think Najah will succeed in creating a space for herself in Jameel's life?

Should Afrah be threatened? LoL

I can't wait for the wedding 😁 who else can't? I smell drama 😎

Please don't forget to vote and comment for another update tomorrow 💕

Follow me on Instagram @deey_jah 🥺 I'll follow back 🥰

deey_jah
❤️❤️❤️