14: Up A Creek Without A Paddle

Start from the beginning

"You shouldn't have done that to yourself, Najah."

"Unfortunately, it's done!" Najah snapped. "Can you get over it already?" Immediately the question emerged from Najah's mouth, she wished she could take it back. "I'm so sorry, Ilham, it's just that...I'm frustrated by what's happening. I didn't mean to snap at you. You came here to keep me company and I—"

"Shhh..." Ilham shook her head. "I completely understand what you're going through. I know this isn't easy for you. Here, have a seat."

Ilham sat on the couch and Najah sat beside her; her head lowered.

"You don't have to bottle up your emotions, sweetheart. Henceforth, I'm not going to judge you. It's okay to cry."

As if it was the words Najah needed to hear and was waiting for, she buried her face between her folded hands and broke down in tears; her shoulders shuddering aggressively.

Ilham placed a soothing hand on her back. "Everything is going to be fine."

"Nothing is going to be fine," Najah disagreed, raising her bloodshot, tearful gaze to Ilham. "you're right, I'm stupid. Jameel loves that woman to a fault." She swallowed a painful lump in her throat. It hurt her to admit it, but it was the fact. She had eyes and ears. "The moment she comes into this house, he is going to change. I don't think I'm ready for that, Ilham What should I do?"

"At this point," Ilham wiped a tear from the corner of her eyes. "I don't think there's anything you can do anymore. It's quite late now that his mother and also her parents have agreed to allow them get married."

Najah felt a pang in her heart.

"By the look on your face, I guess he hasn't told you." Ilham voiced. "Well, Asim told me the parents have agreed and apparently, the wedding is going to take place in—" Amal immediately cut herself off and coughed, unsure if she should spill the beans.

"Please tell me. They are getting married when?"

"Two months from now."

Najah had never felt so worthless in her life. Not even when she was being maltreated by her aunt and her children. Jameel had taken such a big decision that would indubitably affect her too, without involving her. He had deemed it fit to tell his friend, but not her, his wife.

"Maybe he hasn't told you because he—"

"Because he doesn't regard me." Najah chuckled, humorlessly. "But it's fine. No one has ever died from being disregarded."

"Naj—"

"I will be fine, Ilham. I just need time to digest everything. I'm usually not like this," more tears welled up in Najah's eyes. "I always have my emotions under control. I'm not an emotional person. I don't know what's happening to me right now but I'm strong. I will be fine."

Ilham embraced Najah, stroking her back soothingly. "You're right. It's just a phase. I believe it will pass. Better days are ahead, in Sha Allah."

Najah wiped her tears and pulled away. She despised the feeling of weakness. She had gone through a lot more in her life. "Should we bake a cake?"

"Huh?"

"Let's bake a cake, Ilham!"

"What? At this time?"

"Are you sleepy?"

"No. I really love cake but the thing is, I don't know how to make it."

"Come on, that's not a problem. You can watch and learn. I'm sure your husband is going to appreciate it."