The Flame of Ambition

A lone teen was sitting against a hill with a boredom filled within his dull brown eyes. His gaze was far beyond the visible plane of existence he resided in, and his mind just as far gone.

His daydreaming brought about the attention of a male trio infamous for their perverted shenanigans.

"What's up with that guy?" A brunette with a red tee on under his uniform asked.

"I dunno. You should ask him." A teen with a shaved head said with a nudge. "Why bug the guy... he already seems out of it." A guy with short black hair and glasses responded.

Said daydreamer glanced over at the trio as they debated speaking to him, but in the midst of their argument, he began to look elsewhere since he was pulled out of his conceptualization.

The brightest color he caught sight of, was the mesmerizing red hair of a girl standing at the window of the school. Her gaze was cold, but it also seemed analytic- judgmental in a way.

Shifting his body from his lax state, the boy shook the grass out of his hair, and hummed to himself, the indifference in his expression as he squinted his eyes for a better view simultaneously caught the girl's attention.

She placed her head in her palm as she looked back at him, and the two locked eyes.

"Woah! This guy... he's threat!" The guy with glasses shouted. "He's got THE Rias Gremory locked on him!"

"This bastard... the aloof act is too strong!" The brunette whined. "He's got the most wanted girl in school googling at him."

"Well... I wouldn't say that. This feels like a staring contest."

And that it was, in a sense.

The boy hadn't looked away because she didn't.

She didn't look away because he didn't.

The two awkwardly continued to leer at each other, before the bald guy finally said something to snap him out of the trance.

"Hey, man, quit hogging the hunnies!"

The boy finally blinked, and gazed around, seeing that now everyone was looking at him since they noticed Rias staring at him. The girls were whispering and gossiping about as to why the most popular girl would look at him- but the guys.

They looked livid the school's biggest background character suddenly caught the gaze of their beloved queen(male-proclaimed).

The boy quickly stood up from the attention, and lightly jogged away to avoid the noise, making Rias snicker in amusement.

She turned away from the window, and left, as did our protagonist...

The same dull boy was now sitting in class, awaiting the last bell for dismissal. He was lazily hanging his head over his desk as the teacher wrapped up their lecture, and the long hours of education was taking its toll.

The name on the paper in front of him, was neatly printed.

Why mentioned?

Because the brunette from the trio before read it out loud.

"Amano Kota?" The boy asked.

"That's me." Amano replied. He looked up and saw the brunette was eyeing him with blatant skepticism.

"I see. Seems it was a fluke. All the girls are off you. Name's Issei Hyoudo. Any loner is a friend of mine," He greeted while extending his hand.

Amano shook his hand, nodding despite the indifference of their friendship. The bell rang at last, and the two parted ways shortly after the encounter. The same thought ran through the two's minds.