Immediately, Levi tensed all his muscles as he fixed the guy with his gaze. Erwin had never suspected that it was Meinhardt who had set these henchmen on him, yet it was evident that they had him to thank for the bloody spectacle in the city.

But why was he still here at all? Why hadn't Erwin openly pilloried him? Because he would harm himself by doing so? Maybe he was still planning to do so. But it could also be possible that Levi was utterly wrong, and this man was not the one who had attacked Erwin.

Levi glanced to the side and examined Erwin attentively, but he paid no attention and looked with a stoic expression at Lord Meinhardt, who obviously did not want to be forbidden to speak.

"If not now, when, General? Why should I approve the commander of a regiment whose usefulness seems more than questionable, especially in the present situation? Why not take this opportunity to clear the air? Why don't we use these funds to cultivate fields and equip the Garrison to defend the remaining walls?"

"Even defending the walls, the Garrison would have to rely on the Survey Corps," Erwin raised his voice again. "We have many soldiers in our regiment who are up to confronting a Titan, while the Garrison or Military Police have seen them at most from a distance for the last few decades."

His tone became even more emphatic as he continued, "Even if they were to improve the ramshackle equipment of the Garrison and farm the remaining land to the last inch, it would never be enough to feed all the residents and refugees. We have lost not only land area for cultivation but also hunting grounds, mines, cotton plantations, and farms. If we don't act now, while more and more Titans are pouring into the area, our chances of ever setting foot on Wall Maria's soil again, or even closing the hole in the Wall, will eventually drop to zero."

He paused for a moment and looked at the faces of those present. Lord Meinhardt visibly tried to speak up, but Erwin beat him to it. "Therefore, I would like to propose an offensive, and to this end, I would like to join forces with the Garrison and the Military Police to repel the Titans and reclaim the land together." He looked over his shoulder at these words while his gaze lingered on the two men who were still standing behind him.

"They agree to support us with some of their soldiers. They have the basic training and will be prepared by us for direct confrontation with the Titans," he explained, turning back to the officials.

But the lord was not satisfied with this and again clung to the parapet, which would surely soon give way under his massive weight if he continued like this. "Instead of sending out our remaining soldiers, it would be better for those who had lived on that land to fight for it. After all, it has been their home, so let them defend the land if they want to get through the winter."

Levi looked with a knowing glance at Erwin, who returned it with a barely noticeable nod.

What would he say to that now? This suggestion came much too soon and much too directly. Would he actually agree to it? And why did no one else say anything? Was Levi the only one who was still surprised at this moment?

Erwin's voice remained composed as always when he replied. "With respect, my lord, but appropriate training would take too much time under normal circumstances. It would take years for most civilians to be ready. By then, too many Titans would have invaded the country. We can't wait that long. Training normally takes three years. And not without reason. Even then, many are still not capable of surviving out there for even a day."

Levi's eyes widened as he heard his own words come out of Erwin's mouth.

"With one exception." Erwin put a hand on his shoulder, and Levi held his breath.

"Levi, my best soldier, together with his friends without military training, has managed to learn and perfect the use of maneuver equipment in just a few weeks. In particular, he performs outstandingly in combat situations."