Chapter 33

Sofia's POV

"I'm glad we got ice cream yesterday" I smiled over the phone, painting my toe nails on my bed. The sun was going down and the breeze was light through my window. "Me too, I haven't really got ice cream since I was a kid... my grandmom use to take me and Ash but she just stopped one day" he told me, hitting his blunt.

"We should go again" I tell him with a small smile. "Speak of my grandmom, I was cleanin her up yesterday when Rue came through. Talkin about some shit with Nate Jacobs" he mentioned, seeing if I knew anything.

"I think Nate is blackmailing Jules. I thought about it, with all the information I got from Maddy and Rue. There is no way that she's willingly protecting him. I know what really happened... and that police station is falling right into Nate's trap" I tell him casually.

"Next time I see him imma let him know to stop fuckin with them. Shit ain't right man... that's Rue's girlfriend, what is he on her dick for anyway?" he asks.

"I don't know. Maddy never told me the full story. Either she's up to something with him, or he's blackmailing her to take his side too. Either way, Nate isn't a good person, I've distanced myself from him after the whole choking situation. He's always been abusive toward Maddy but now he's getting her involved in legal bullshit and I can't accept that. That kid Tyler didn't assault her at the party, that's all I know. If they find out that she's lying, she goes down too. That's my sister." I admitted.

"Don't worry bout it Sofia, I'll deal with Nate. But for right now lets talk about what we doin for our next date" he said. "I would love to plan our next date, but... Devin is actually picking me up today" I said shamefully. "Damn after I told you to ignore his ass huh" he said half jokingly.

"Fez, you know I have to stay with him and keep this relationship alive as long as I'm living here" I roll my eyes. "I know, I know. Shit I might just have to kidnap you" he says with a small grin. I offer him a small smile in return.

"Alright Fez, I gotta get off the-" "and let me find out if this dude puts his hands on you again. I will physically reach through the phone and strangle him" he adds, cutting me off. I chuckle and shake my head. "Always so protective of me" I sigh.

"Obviously, you all mine. I already don't like that I have to share you, but... a relationship never stopped up before, right?" he asks, somewhat unsatisfied. His voice made it obvious that he wasn't happy with our situation.

"A relationship never stopped us before, but... what about now?" I ask him, hoping to hear how he feels. "Whatchu mean by that?" he asks after a short silence. "I mean like... are you okay with me being in a relationship with someone else?" I ask. 

"I don't know what type of question that is but imma answer it anyway... I've never been okay with you being with someone else. I want you to be my girlfriend. I just put up with your situation cause I don't wanna lose what we have by crossing your boundaries for real..." he admits.

"Don't you think both of us have already crossed most of the boundaries I set in the beginning?" I ask, scratching the back of my neck. "I mean yeah but... I wouldn't have done any of that stuff if you didn't want me to. You came on to me and you let me come on to you. The real boundary is the relationship thing. I just feel like you wanna be with me but you refuse to break up with him permanently" he explains.

"I would be your girlfriend if it wasn't for my mom making my life living hell every time I tried to leave him. It seems... impossible." I sigh. "I know, and I understand. That's why I let things play out because I know you aren't even makin your own decisions right now, you're just tryna please your family and make life easier on yourself." he says.

"But are you okay with that?" I ask. "Not really... I told you I was never okay with it. It just... is what it is, you feel me?" he says. "Yeah but for how long?" I question further, making him go quiet for a moment.

"To be honest with you Sofia, I don't know. I'm not tryna share you with ol boy for the rest of my life, you know?" he says, making me listen closely. "All I'm sayin is one day I'm gonna wake up and decide that I'm done sharing you with him. And when they day comes... Ion know what I'm gonna do" he says.

"Would you ever disappear on me?" I ask. "Of course not, that was never an option. Thats why I'm sayin I don't know what imma do about him" he explains further. "I mean, there's not much you can do at that point, right?" I ask, almost laughing but then my face turning back serious. He goes quiet, looking out his window. "The world is a place of limitless options" was all he said, ashing the blunt one last time before putting it out.

I didn't respond, only finished painting my pinky toe with 1 last top clear coat before putting my nail polish away. "Imma let you go get ready for your date" he says, finger hovering over the hang up button. "Alright Fez, I'll hit you up once I'm home and I'll send you my location" I tell him.

"No need, I got eyes everywhere. You let me know if something happens, if you find yourself in a situation thats when you drop your location. I'll be there before you even hit send" he tells me. "Yeah right, thats impossible." I say, rolling my eyes.

"Not for me shawty, I'm quick like lightning" he jokes. I smile at him and hang up, getting up to get dressed.

____________________

I decide to put more effort into my looks, just in case I see Fez anywhere local. Devin pulls up shortly after texting me that he was almost here, and I hopped into the front seat. "Hey babe" I said casually, leaning over to peck his cheek. "You look nice tonight" he compliments me, double cheecking my outfit. "Yeah, I always wanna look nice for you" I lie.

"That's good, because we're going somewhere nice" he tells me. "Oh really, where?" I ask. "It's a surprise" he says, pulling out of the driveway. My mom waved me off through the window, proud that I was back spending time with Devin again.

A couple minutes into the ride, his phone went off a few times. I peered down to see the name. But below the name, I noticed he had changed his settings to "new notification" instead of letting the full message appear on the screen. 

Cassie.

I wonder why Cassie is texting him, I thought to myself. Cassie never crossed my mind as "one of those girls" even though she is cheating on her own boyfriend. She would know better than to cross into my line. After all, I'm her best friend's sister. Everyone in this town was well aware of my on and off relationship with Devin, so she wouldn't dare be texting him for any inappropriate reasons.

However, I was more concerned about the new settings on his phone rather than the person who had been texting him. "New notification huh?" I said sarcastically, raising my eyebrow at him.

"I-uh... Cassie doesn't normally text me. That's weird" he says, obviously lying about something. "I didn't say anything about Cassie, I said new notification, huh?" I repeated myself, raising my eyebrow at him. I saw him swallow a lump in his throat. That is really fucking weird.

"Whatever Dev-" "Sofia, don't start with this shit today, alright? Please, I wanna have a good day with you. I changed my settings so you wouldn't trip the fuck out honestly" he tells me. "Trip the fuck out? Wow okay, what is there to be tripping about Devin? You must have something to hide." I mock him. He shakes his head. "But you know what, I don't care. Keep it to yourself. I'm hungry so hurry up with this 'surprise' you have for me" I cross my arms, looking out the window.

"I will. And your gonna feel stupid for accusing me when we get there, because I'm gonna change all my settings back to normal and-" "Do what you want" I cut him off calmly, taking gum out of my purse. This prick will not ruin my day.

"Who the fuck is that huh?" he asks, my phone chiming. Shit. I grab for it but he reaches at the same time, causing us to fight for the phone. "Sofia I swear to fucking god-" he loses control of the driving wheel for a second and my phone drops to the floor, him reaching for the wheel. "Pay attention to the road!" I yell at him before picking up my phone. "Sofia, give me your phone" he says, not fighting for it anymore. Please don't be Fez, I thought to myself.

Fezco's POV

"Fuck bro" I said, grabbing for the pill bottles urgently. "What the fuck man" Ashtray panic, flushing everything down the toilet. "Come on bruh, hurry up, for real man" I warned him, my heart racing. The police will bust down that door any second.

"Unlock the door, open up now!" I heard a cop shout as they continued banging on the door. We flushed bag after bag bottle after bottle, careful not to leave anything behind. 

Sofia's POV

I don't even want to turn my screen on, but he knows that I never react this way. If I don't check the text he will know something is up. "So you can have a private setting on your phone but I can't keep my phone private?" I divert the question.

"You saw it was just Cassie! I told you that I'd change the setting at the restaurant, what the fuck is up with you? Give me the phone, you're being mad sneaky right now" he accuses me. "What are you trying to accuse me o-" "CHECK THE MESSAGE SOFIA. UNLOCK YOUR PHONE" he cuts me off. I swallowed a lump in my throat, finally opening the phone with shaky hands.

Maddy: Kat is literally a cunt don't let her inside anymore

"See! Now you look stupid, it's literally my fucking sister Dev!" I shout at him, pointing a finger in his face. He shakes his head, not looking in my direction. "Look at me!" I say to him. "I'm trying to fucking drive okay! I'm looking at the road, just drop it" he yells back.

I can tell this is going to be a long day.

__________
𝕟𝕖𝕩𝕥 𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣