CHAPTER THREE: Behind The Bars

Officer James POV:

After disconnecting the call, I settled on the couch besides Kiara. She was just staring blankly not uttering any word.

"Do you have any stuffie to play?" I asked to break the silence. She just blinked and tilted her head to side with curiosity and asked "what stuffie?".

She doesn't have stuffie to comfort her and a coping mechanism to not be in fear. Kiara didn't have a proper childhood to begin with. My heart shatters into million pieces at the abuse this pumpkin had endured. Still she is very strong and brave to all of this.

My thoughts were interrupted by my friend Grey. "Hey Grey, finally this little pumpkin is Kiara" I introduced by pointing in her direction. Grey smiled at her and said "My name is Grey". Kiara came closer to my side and hid behind my back. Then slowly peeked outside and waved and whispered a small hello.

We cooed at her in 'awe'. I snapped out of the trance. There are more pressing matters in hand. I gave a chocolate which I stack in my pockets to Kiara and asked her to wait in upstairs. After checking she reached there, I turned to address Grey.

"Kiara is abused severely man. She is covered in belt marks. When I came here, she was wearing the diaper that has not changed for 2 days"

"This is serious James it is not safe for Kiara to stay here. But we need proof to arrest them."

I came with the plan to capture them. "Let's search this house first then we can plan an ambush to arrest them"

"Great idea man! Let's start the search"

We then parted our ways to search. After 5 minutes, I found drug stash in their master bedroom. This will add to the evidence. I called for Grey, he came running and saw the stash in my line of sight. He took his phone to capture the proof.

"This will be enough to put them behind the bar. Now we have to wait for them to arrive".

I agreed with him and went to Kiara room to hide in the closet and made to hush kiara to stay quiet.

Now we have to wait for the game to begin...

30 minutes later..

We heard footsteps from downstairs and then a female voice shouted for Kiara "You little piece of shit, where are you?".

Kiara was startled by the sudden yelling and began to cry. Little tears are rolling down her chubby cheeks. My heart is telling to go and comfort her but we need to do this to keep her safe.

All this time Grey is recording the scene for additional proof. Loud footsteps echo upstairs and suddenly Kiara door burst open to reveal two angry men and women. That man is holding a stick in his hand. He stalked towards kiara and he was about to hit her but we emerged from the closet and I hit him square in the jaw. Meantime, Grey went to lock the bedroom door and blocked the path to prevent them from escape.

"Kneel and hands behind your head" I instructed them by pointing my gun.

They did as I said and glared at us. I handcuffed them and said "Mr. and Mrs. Thomas you both are arrested under drugs intake, child abuse and child negligence you can plead your opinion in the trial"

With that I picked kiara and calmed her down by gently rocking back and forth. Soon she was out like a light due to exhaustion. I cradled her in my arms and wait for the backup to arrive.

After 20 minutes we arrived to the station and locked the Thomas couple in the cell till trial.

Now we need to check for Kiara other family members or relatives to take care of her or else she need to be in child care.

Kiara begins to stir in my arms and fluttered her eyes open when she saw me her face morphed into million dollar smile. At that same time another colleague Jenna arrived to my office. She is very kind and friendly natured and I trusted her very much.

"Jenna can you take this cute missy outside to feed something."

Jenna's eye lit up and she frantically nodded and grabbed Kiara gently in her arms and tickled her. Kiara laughed and it sounded like bells and they both exited my office still her laughter echoing in the hallway.

Then I started my research on Thomas family and found out that their three sons were missing. I think they might have escaped. Since Kiara is abused they might have experienced the same thing and also I think they didn't know about their sister existence. They might take care of her. But how can we find them.

After some more searching I got their best friend number Mark. I dialled that number and waited for him to pick up.

"Hello this is Mark. Who is this?"

"Hello I am officer James speaking. Do you have any contact number or address of the Thomas brothers?"

There was silence in the other end. I thought he will hang the phone and then he spoke

"I... I don't know where they are" I can tell he is lying by his tone and stutters. I think he is protecting them.

"Look, I know you are lying to protect them from their parents but you don't need to worry about them. Since we arrested them for child abuse today and they are behind the bars"

A gasp escaped from the other end "really, they are arrested but how did you know about their abuse"

"Today we found a 2 year old girl in their home crying when we got their, she was covered in bruises and when I asked who did that she said her parents and we also caught them red-handed with proof"

"They have little sister"

"Yes, they have we can take DNA test to check for assurance but we need a place for Kiara to grow safe and loved. And by our interrogation she doesn't know about her brothers. So, please help me in finding them"

A sigh escaped from him and he finally opened up "They are in New York, it's been three years I didn't contact them but I have Adrien number I will send the contact to you. Please keep them safe we did so much for them to escape and don't let them go to vain"

"Thank you Mark for co-operating with us we won't let them down"

Then I hung up the phone within minutes my screen ping with a text message from Mark with Adrien number.

After taking a deep breath I called that number but no one picked up and tried one more time this time a voice spoke up.

"Hello Adrien Thomas speaking"

"Hello Mr. Thomas I am officer James speaking from Paris"

____________________________________

If you have any comments feel free to voice it.

If you liked my story please vote it.

Thank you for reading...

😘😘