The assassin's soulmates - Gotham - Part 5 - Oswald x Edward x Reader

"Please, (Y/n). It's hard to talk when one has a gun pointed at their head." Oswald said. Giving the assassin one of his best innocent smiles.

"Yeah, you're right, Ossie. But it's even harder to talk when one has a bullet in the head. And I really don't want to be the one with said bullet in the head. So............"

"(Y/n)...... You can have me but cannot hold me; gain me and quickly lose me. If treated with care I can be great. And if betrayed I will break.............."

"Now isn't quite the time for riddles, Edward.............."

"Please, humour me, (Y/n). What am I?" Edward asked, as he cautiously moved forward on the sofa. A soft smile creeping onto his lips, as the assassin answered his puzzle without seemingly needing to think.

"Trust. The answer is trust, Ed..............."

"Precisely. And I think that given what we are here to discuss, it is perhaps fitting that you should place a little trust in Oswald and I." Edward added. His smile growing a little, as (Y/n) mussed for a moment, before slowly lowering her weapon and placing it on the arm of her chair.

"You are of course quite right, Ed dear. But please know, that trust has to be earned. And I have worked for both of you often enough to know, that it is best to keep my gun close at hand. So, please, no sudden movements." The assassin retorted, before bringing her glass up to her lips once more.

"Now, let's discuss this strange idea of yours, that you two and I are in fact soulmates." (Y/n) added, as she propped her feet up on the coffee table in front of her.

"And why is it such a strange idea................."

"Because, Oswald, we all know that we only get one soulmate. One soul mark. Yet here you are, expecting me to believe that you and Edward, have been given more than one mark? I mean I knew that your ego could be a little inflated t times Oswald, but this.............."

"Its not unheard of, (Y/n). There have been cases..........." Edward noted.

"And no one ever said that we had two marks. We have combined ones........" Oswald protested. The crime boss feeling a little insulted that his possible second soulmate could believe that he had an inflated ego.

(Y/n) mused for a moment. Her fingers absentmindedly reaching up and brushing over the leather cuff that concealed her own mark.

She knew that, even though it was rare, as Ed had stated, there had been cases of people having more than one soulmate. And if she had to be honest, she had always believed that her own mark was a combination of two separate ones. That the separate parts made up the whole. And when the two crime bosses had got together, her own mark had, for the first time, made sense. She also knew that from her first meeting with both men, that she had felt something. Not just when their hands had touched, but something more. It was the way that they had made her feel just by looking at her. Their gaze, giving her this childlike fuzzy feeling in the pit of her stomach. A feeling of utter joy and excitement. An excitement that she could remember from being small. From when her grandfather had bought her, what she was sure, when she was five at least, had been the world's biggest cotton candy. When she had been taken to the fair and seen all manner of wonders. Yet could things really be that simple? Could the ones that she was meant to be with, have really been right under her nose all this time? The umbrella boy and the riddling fool.

"(Y/n).........." Ed began softly, as he tentatively rose to his feet. The Riddler holding up his hands in surrender, as the assassin grabbed for the gun, and pointed it at him.

"Please, (Y/n). Just let me show you..............." Edward continued. A small smile pulling at the corner of his lips, as the assassin nodding in agreement. Ed slowly unbuttoning the cuff to his shirt, before rolling up his sleeve. (Y/n) gesturing for the former forensic scientist to move a little closer. Doing her best to hide her shock, as she saw the mark on his wrist. As she saw the black umbrella canopy that was supported by the twin crossed guns. Her twin crossed guns.

"Let me see yours." (Y/n) ordered, as she turned her attention to Oswald. Oswald getting to his feet and taking the jacket from his shoulders. His fingers carefully pulling on the button at the cuff. Before slowly rolling up his own sleeve and presenting his mark to her. The combination of gun and question mark, quite interesting.

"Well.........isn't that a turn up for the books." The assassin stated, with a heavy sigh. Dropping the gun back on the arm of the chair, before allowing her fingers to pull on the straps of the leather cuff that covered her wrist. Ed and Oswald looking at one another as the strap feel onto her lap. The black umbrella canopy with its green question mark handle, now clear for all to see.

"So boys............what now?" (Y/n) asked, as she looked up at the two men. The assassin hoping that this wouldn't all end with her having to kill one, if not both of the men that had just proved were supposed to be hers.