"If you take a look at this," the head scientist started. He had a tablet in his hands with a folder on it labeled 'The Mask Maker'. It was filled with surveillance footage and lab readings they had done while their subject was unconscious. He pulled up one of the latest pieces of footage and held it in front of his boss.

 "She's struggling significantly against this wild Pokémon. That occurred only a day ago, but she returned to fight again hours later, and this time, it's clear that her abilities have improved.

As Giovanni watched, he had to admit he was a little impressed. But his slight smile dropped from his face rather quickly. 

"Three months of work, and that's all she has to show for it?" he asked. "At this rate, it'll be years before she's even remotely powerful on her own."

"Sir, she's also dealing with the consequences of several minor head injuries, and some of the work she's doing might be making it worse. She's complained before about how easily her head hurts, and, ahem, her recent injury might blunt her progress completely."

"What recent injury?" Giovanni asked with an even deeper frown. 

Their boss had his question answered before they could say a word, as it had begun to unfold on the screen. It showed the entire incident, all the way up to Morai getting tackled by Avery, fainting, and getting carried to the dojo. 

"This is unacceptable. She's still weak!" Giovanni exclaimed. If something isn't done, if an intervention doesn't take place, she's going to remain useless. Other players are beginning to enter this game and if we don't act quickly, we will lose the advantage we gained by partnering with her so quickly. Tell Proton to be in my office in 30 minutes."

Present Day

"I'm just worried, is all!" Proton said. "It looks like I came at the right time, too! I mean, just look at you! But don't fret, we'll get you back to Headquarters and—"

"No," Morai tersely replied.

"Yeah, I figured you'd say that, but a guys's gotta try, right? That's why I brought friends!"

That was the last thing Morai remembered hearing. She expected to wake up in the back of a van or plane (because that's what happened in the movies, of course), but she found herself right back where she had started: in the bed of the dojo. 

Geez, this is getting confusing. Was that actually a dream, too? 

Again, The Mask Maker struggled to the door and opened it, half expecting Proton and his group to be waiting on the other side. But he wasn't. Instead, it was clear that battles had taken place. Dojo students were using Potions on their Pokémon and putting decorations that had been scattered about back in their place. There was a small arena for battling in the middle of the room, but it had gone unused.

"Oh, you're awake! How are you feeling, dear?" Honey asked, rushing over to the guest and putting her arms around her. It surprised Morai a little. Someone hadn't shown so much genuine concern over her for a long time. 

"I-I'm alright, thank you. What happened?"

"Well, that green-haired fellow and his group demanded that we hand you over, or else. But Mustard and I and our students took care of it! It was strange though. The man seemed too content with losing. He and his posse simply walked out willingly."

That has to mean he's still on this island somewhere. Proton would never pass up a chance for physical violence, especially if it's an order from Giovanni.