Chapter 30

"I think he has to go out again!" Alison comments.

Hana was scratching away at the front door and grumbling whenever his paw only managed to scratch at the door rather than open it.

"Not it. Speaking for us two, by the way." Lance volunteers as he scans over the different property cards he and Alison had gathered up against Eve and Amari.

"Oh, come on. First, you guys cheat us with the bullshit team-up, then you stick us with smelling the shit?" Eve claps back.

"Capitalism is lovely, innit?"

Eve sighs and gets up, smacking the cards out of Lance's hand and jumping around Amari to avoid response.

"You bastard!"

"The Free Market on ass whoopings is lovely too!" She replies, running over to the dining room table to grab the harness and leash.

"Don't touch our pieces," Amari says, taking a picture of the game board as he gets up.

"Please, you two will be bankrupt in like five turns anyways. No need to cheat now."

"Ah ha, so you did cheat!" Eve calls out.

"Dammit, woman, what do I always say? Gloat when the game is over." Lance says to Alison.

"Yeah, but that isn't the whole of what you said, and you were referring to Call of Duty when you said that."

"What is the whole saying?" Amari requests, grabbing a pistol and placing it in his back waistband.

"Technically, I started that saying, it goes 'Gloat when the game is over, or a camping five-year-old will dangle dangle on your face and call your mom a fatty.'" Eve puts in.

"Dangle dangle...oh tea bag you! Ha, good one." Amari openly realizes.

Eve places Hana into the harness and lets Amari put a pistol in her waistband, covering it with her shirt. He turns and allows her to check his, ensuring the shirt was covering the weapon to ensure no one saw them and kicked up a heap of other problems. In the clear, the two open the door and head out, with Hana easily taking the lead, his size having increased some more since the growth he had achieved overnight.

Alison gets up and confirms the door isn't locked in case the three of them need to rush back to the apartment for cover while Lance goes over to the kitchen table. He grabs the ready-to-go submachine gun and hands it to her, but not before making sure the safety is off. He grabs the assault rifle and then goes over to the couch, planting the weapon on its side next to him. He watches over the approaching areas of the parking lot with Amari, Eve, and Hana right outside in the patch of grass between the building and the sidewalk.

They had developed a quick plan to watch each other at all times and carried it out a few times before, with the sun finally starting to set outside.

"Hey," Alison says calmly so as not to spook Lance.

"Yes, love?"

"I've been thinking about what I will say to my parents, my brother. Since it could be the last conversation I would have with them. I—I still can't even figure out the first sentence. And I managed to get all three ready for a call in five minutes. What are you going to tell your mom?"

"I don't know. Never been good at planning those things; you know that tough emotional moments aren't my strong suit."

"I want to tell them the truth. Tell them that I love them and I hope to see them again. That I will do whatever I have to do to ensure that, but I can't help but feel...."