Chapter 23

"Don't go along the wall! It's too many of them; we'll be easy shots." Eve commands, prompting Amari, Lance, and Alison to cut into the lot with the other employees that made it out with them.

They outrun them pretty easily, with Lance and Alison struggling with their newfound speed, bumping into cars and stepping over their feet, trying to put one foot in front of the other. Alison does her best to keep Hana from taking any impact, but when his head hits a rearview mirror, she is shocked. He doesn't appear harmed at all. Instead, the side mirror is completely knocked off its hinges and crumples to the floor.

"My laces are tied! What kind of shite is this? Am I off?" Lance complains.

"It's the thing you said her dad did, isn't Amari? Cause I can't even feel my own weight." Alison suggests.

"Guys, no time. Cut now behind this truck and get down." Eve instructs just a second before the first Seeker emerges from the overflow of smoke, slipping out of the office.

One of the employees had managed to make it to their car but starting it up immediately brought attention to them, with several different Seekers laying into her little Honda Civic with enough bolt shots to give the metal a hot glow.

"Stop, you fools! Find the girl, kill the rest and prevent her from bringing them back! Spread out, and if it isn't her kill, don't let the others get close, or you will get crushed." One of them shouts.

Eve keeps her eyes on the Seekers from behind the truck; with about six rows of parking a sparse parking lot due to the time of night; it was only a matter of time before the Seekers were on them.

"Got any more bullets in that thing?" Amari asks.

She nods that she doesn't, releasing the clip, chucking it in the bushes nearby, and showing the chamber was empty.

"So, what are our options?" He asks.

"I mean, my car is on the front side of this hellish parking lot, yeah, meaning to get to it, we gotta cover that gap right there. Out in the open for these guys to gun us down."

"Maybe we could run it? I mean the speed we just had. I felt like I could have gone faster."

"No fucking shot Alison. These guys were dropping people, and the length we gotta cover is double a pitch. No way we get there." Lance quips; just then, a gunshot rings out as another person is cut down by the Seekers.

The sound of the body hitting the ground causes Alison and Amari to both jump, immediately alerting the Seekers to the group's location. Lance ducks down quickly, and his face tells the others they are spotted!

"No, no! Eve, why did you only bring one gun?" Alison shivers out.

"Yeah, let me just roll around with a fucking entire company armory on me."

"Guys, this isn't getting us anywhere. We need an out option, and we need it right now." Amari cuts in right as a shot rings out that smashes the truck's front window.

Eve had no option that would see all of them safely making it away, and that was a risk she wasn't even going to try to take with her friends. As the steps and sounds of the Seekers were getting closer and closer, she couldn't help but think back to the comments that the Seeker shouted before they used the extinguisher about how they wanted her. And Amari revealed the ones he encountered earlier were looking for her. If she gave herself up, then maybe her friends could be safe. They were in danger because of her, and she could not let the worse of things happen to them.

"Stay here." She says.

"Where the hell are you going?" Amari asks, taking hold of her arm as she adjusts to face the truck.