Chapter 12

Eve didn't stop walking from the dining hall till it was well out of sight with distance and several buildings between them.

"Hey, will you hold up it might still be winter, but you lot can still have some pretty humid nights, I don't want my pits turning soggy," Lance begs.

"Your pits are the last thing that will be soggy if you ever, and I mean ever! Do that again. Calling Amari over. Have you lost your goddamn mind?"

"Me? You're the one running from love cause you seem to be losing yours half the time. You're driving me crazy too, with this Amari stuff. Treating that boy like that is wrong. All the girls in the world around here want him from head to toe, and you run from him, and even still, he is an addicted kid in a candy shop for you. Like you're the lollipop covered in the most sugar. He was looking our way when he walked in any way. So I saved both of us the one minute of him trying to explain that awkwardness off."

"I'm running? I have reasons, and you know what they are. You and Alison are running from each other with no legit excuses." Eve kicks back.

"Woah there, now hold on, you know there is a bunch of shites up in the air on that. Neither of us wants to start something we might be unable to finish."

"You can finish it, for Christ's sake. You're afraid if you finish that, then it is losing one girl in your life for another, and that other is scarier than you think because you know you'll have to follow her around just like you did your mom as a kid Lance."

"Wow. We are going deep, aren't we? Throwing stones."

"Yeah, but I don't live in a glass house; I know my life is a bit messed up. I just didn't think it would catch up with me till sometime in May, maybe during Finals week when I would have the time since I ain't taking anything that needs studying to pass."

"That's the thing, though; we all live in glass houses. Just some are able to put some extra layers on the panels, and some are missing some panels. Remember what I told you? My mom said, 'It's the neighborhood that matters.' And as rude as a neighbor as you just were, I'm going to offer you some advice you already got today. Fix the Amari thing. The kiss wasn't his fault, and you two have been miserable horny little maggots in my side ever since." He chuckles.

"Well, you and Alison have been a spotted dick in my side too!" Eve chirps back playfully just as a couple passes around a nearby corner.

Their faces are full of disgust and concern, having not heard the context of the conversation they stumbled on. Eve immediately switched up to give them scorned judgment and a shrug, hoping to move them along quickly.

"What?" She grunts.

"Nothing, just conversations about dick and maggots." The guy replied, somewhat cringing and trying to show strength simultaneously.

"Yeah, well, don't worry about it. Free Country, we can discuss whatever we want; not everyone has the luxury of being the simple downhome looking couple like you two. It makes me sick." She says, full of sarcasm.

Lance steps between her and the couple just as they are about to turn, no doubt confused on whether Eve's comment was an insult or not. As the guy let go of his girlfriend for a second and was prepared to come forward, which would have been the worse decision of his life had he tried to do something.

"She is just stressed. No need to have everyone get red and then see some red," Lance states with a calm and collective voice.

"Nah, bro, she needs to watch her mouth...wait, is that Eve? Oh, uhhh, I didn't mean anything by it. Me and Amari are cool."

"Yeah, come on, babe." The girl utters.

"You two are cute; downhome looking is fitting, I guess. Whatever the hell that means. Have a nice night, guys." Lance offers as they go on their way.