The Power Of The Holy Spirit

John 14:16
ESV
26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

You're not alone.

The Bible tells us that we have a Helper called the Holy Spirit. We aren't trying to live a life for the glory of God by ourselves and by our own strength but we rely on the strength of the Holy Spirit. We often act and forget that we aren't the only ones trying to grow into who God has called us to be and do what He has called us to do but we have the Holy Spirit here with us who partners with us to be who He knows we were created to be.

Romans 8:16
ESV
16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

1) He convicts you of sin

John 16:8
ESV

8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 

He gives us conviction and assurance that we are children of God. He confirms our identity.

Jesus said that the Holy Spirit came to convict the world of sin. The Holy Spirit convicts us. He points out what areas need to be changed. That's why you'll experience moments in your faith where suddenly you don't like certain songs you used to like. Where certain shows bother you. Where dressing in certain ways makes you uneasy. Where speaking in a certain way makes you uncomfortable. Where hanging out with certain friends brings so much uneasiness.

It's when the Holy Spirit begins to reveal the areas in your life that need change so you can be everything God has called you to be.

That's why after you've sinned you feel uneasy, restless and burdened. You can't stand swearing anymore and you have this deep deep desire to be walking in righteousness. You now desire to be pure so whenever you're mind thinks of anything impure you're hurt and bothered.

The Holy Spirit is Holy because He is God and God is Holy. God is without sin and with no desire to sin so when we have Him in us, He begins to change our desire for sin to a desire for whatever is right. Slowly what you used to entertain isn't your main desire. Your main desire grows to be God's word, growing in relationship with Him, praying etc

This is all the work of the Holy Spirit. He convicts you. He corrects and disciplines you so that you become who God has called you to be. A man of God once said that God receives you as you are but doesn't leave you as you are. This means that God accepts every sinner who repents truly and receives Jesus but He doesn't leave you as you came but purifies, strengthens, builds and moulds you into who you truly are, who He created you to be.

That desire to walk in holiness doesn't come from you but from the Holy Spirit living in you that desires for you to walk in holiness. When He convicts and corrects you. When He gently points out the parts in your life that need cutting off, the parts that need discipline etc, listen because though it might be painful at the moment, His pruning happens so that we can be all He has called us to be.

2) He helps us bear good fruit

He helps us live a righteous and Godly life by helping us not live in the flesh but by helping us to walk according to the Spirit. That's how you can resist the devil, resist temptation and how you'll have to begin to change.

The work of the Holy Spirit is to help us to be more and more like Jesus. He helps us develop the characteristics we are lacking and bear the fruit we aren't bearing so we can walk in alignment.