Chapter 41

"What?"

"There's a rat," Hattie repeated, her voice desperate and miserable. "Someone we know is working for Ciro. You can't trust anyone. He knows they're going to try to come for me, and he has someone on the inside. They're going to figure out whatever plan you guys make and derail it." She paused and took a shaky breath. "Whoever he is, he has orders to kill everyone involved before they come here."

"You know it's a he?"

She nodded. "I heard him speaking to Ciro. I could tell it was a man's voice and it sounded familiar, but they were a good bit away and I was hidden in a staircase. I couldn't make out the voices very well."

"Do you-do you think it could have been one of the guys?" I was afraid to ask.

Hattie's entire body shivered. "I don't know. I don't think so. But-but I don't know."

I glanced down at my watch. I'd lost too much time. I needed to get out of there. I grabbed Hattie's shoulders and stared into her eyes. "Do you trust Atticus?"

She nodded fiercely. "I do."

"Okay, I have one more camera. I'm going to put it on the pot of the plant in the corner of your room. Everyone wants to know that you're okay. I'll go back and tell Atticus what you've told me. He'll know what to do. I won't tell anyone else, not even Keegan. We're going to get you out of here, okay?"

Hattie shook her head again, eyes wide with terror. "Tell them not to come. It's too dangerous. It's too late."

"No it's not, Hattie-"

"Tuesday," she whispered. Tears ran down her cheeks like waterfalls. "He's taking me away tomorrow. Atticus doesn't have enough time. Just leave. All of you need to leave. It's not safe."

I stared at her for just a moment before I huffed and walked over to the plant in the corner. After attaching the camera to the side, pointing it toward the middle of the room, and activating it, I walked back over to Hattie. She stood nearly hyperventilating beside her bed. I placed my hands firmly back on her shoulders.

"Listen to me. Atticus is not going to let you go. He's completely broken without you. In fact, all of them are. They're arguing, they can't think straight, they're moody," I sighed. "They need you. We're going to do everything we can to get you back. And that's that."

Hattie looked into my eyes and I could see the fight in hers. She clenched her fists and grit her teeth.

"I'm going to kill Ciro," she said. A deep anger and fury emerged that sounded foreign coming from her mouth. "If it's the last thing I ever do on this earth, I'm going to kill him."

I wrapped her in the tightest hug I could before pulling away. "I'm out of time; I have to go."

Stepping over to the door, I turned back to her. She'd started crying again and so had I. "I'm going to see you soon, Hottie. Fucking bet on it. And Hattie?"

"Yes?" She looked at me expectantly.

I swallowed hard. I'm not good at this. "I'm sorry."

She blinked. "For what?"

"For not being a good friend to you. I-" I took a shaky breath. "I was jealous. I wanted what you had. I couldn't seem to take myself out of the equation and give you the support you wanted. I know this is all too late now, but I wanted you to know. I'm sorry. And I hope you can forgive me."

"I should be the one apologizing," Hattie let her head hang.

"No," I responded firmly. "No, you don't. And if you still feel like you need to apologize, then you can do it when you get out of here. Got it?"