Chapter 24

"Ciro?" I peered into the darkness, but I couldn't make anything out. I could barely see the outline of his tall body. He took a small step forward and I sucked in a breath. In the little bit of light that now shone on him, I clearly saw the black and grey stubble, piercing brown eyes, and a sharp jawline. His black hair faded in with the shadows, aside from a few silver strands that caught the light. I wanted to turn around and catch Atticus' attention but I stood frozen.

"Do you want me to kill her?" He asked nonchalantly as he fixed the cuff of his suit.

"W-what?" I blew out the air I had been holding painfully in my lungs.

"That bitch who just disrespected you. She can disappear, if you want," his eyes stayed on mine, a deadly calm in them.

"No. No, I don't want you to kill her," I answered, my eyes wide and shaking my head slightly in disbelief. He simply shrugged and slipped his hands into his pockets. "What are you doing here, Ciro?"

"I wanted to see you," he smiled. I found it interesting and more than a little concerning that he seemed so normal. So attractive. So alluring. After just asking if I wanted to put a hit out on someone. "I've missed you, Hattie."

I scoffed. "How on earth could you miss me? You don't know anything about me."

"Is that so?" he pondered, clearly enjoying himself.

"We've barely spoken. Why are you so fixated? You don't know who I am."

"As I said, I get what I want. And I want you. I don't have to explain myself." He took a step closer, putting him only a foot away from me. I stared up defiantly, hoping that now Atticus would see us in the light. "And as for knowing you, I'm pretty confident that I know more about you than your little boy toys. I might even know you better than anyone ever has. I know about your family, Hattie."

My eyes grew wide and my mouth parted in disbelief.

"I know what happened to them," he continued, looking down at me with a hunger in his eyes. "I also know what happened to your brother. What really happened."

I took an uneasy step back as he stepped forward again, the lust in his eyes surprisingly growing. I stared at him in bewilderment and horror. How could he find me even more attractive now? After knowing everything...

"I also know some things that even you don't know about yourself. And I'd be willing to share...if you'll come with me," he held out his hand to me and looked into my eyes, almost pleading. I just gaped up at him, my brain clouded in confusion. What does he know?

"H-How-"

"Never thought I'd see you in a college bar, Ciro," Atticus' deep, raspy voice spoke next to me and he slid his hand into mine. I squeezed hard and tried to balance myself.

"I'll go wherever this woman goes," he smiled down at me and lowered his outstretched hand before glaring at Atticus. "You know, I can't help but think about the fact that you can't seem to get the fuck out of my way."

"Leave it alone, Ciro," Atticus responded, his voice angry. I could feel him inching his body over to shield me from Ciro.

"Giving me orders now, eh?" Ciro smiled threateningly at Atticus, his lips pressed tightly together.

"She doesn't want you," Atticus responded, his voice low and angry, crackling in the depths of his chest.

"She will," Ciro grinned harder, his eyes flickering to my hand in Atticus'. "I also can't help but notice that your boyfriend is on the dance floor with another woman and your hand is in someone else's. Is it possible that you're involved with all of them? If so, I have to admit, that makes me angry. I don't like the idea of you being passed around."