Chapter 36

Around ten the next morning, Atticus finally made me get up out of bed, saying the two of us had slept in long enough. I countered with "there's no such thing", to which he responded, "talking back? You know better" just before I received a sound smack on the ass.

We'd spent the entire morning going over the plan for that night. As soon as the game ended, he'd get me away from my date. He'd come up with some elaborate plan that apparently also entailed "stealing" me back from Richard. Then all five of us would load up what we needed and immediately head to the safe house. Atticus was sure he'd be able to strike a deal with Ciro that didn't involve me leaving with him. I could only hope he was right.

What he wasn't sure of was whether or not Thane would come with us.

A part of me never wanted to leave the bed, because that meant I'd never have to see Thane again. I didn't think I'd be able to take it. Despite the fact that I'd spent the entire night in Atticus' comforting arms, rest still didn't come easy. I hated myself for how much I'd hurt him.

No matter how many times Atticus whispered assurances and sweet promises in my ear that everything was okay and Thane would be fine, I couldn't believe him. I'd hurt him so bad. He'd never forgive me.

After Atticus and I went for round two the night before...and round three, we laid in bed and I asked him what happened with Thane. The bruise and cut on his cheek paired with the bloodied knuckles were a clear giveaway that something had happened between them. But, unsurprisingly, he gave me nothing. He simply said not to worry about it and that he'd be at the game that night.

So when we finally walked downstairs, I breathed a sigh of relief to find him missing from the group of people in the kitchen. Once we had grabbed our cups of coffee, I went to sit at the kitchen table, but Atticus pulled me into his lap and kissed my cheek before taking a sip out of his mug. I started to smile until I looked up and saw everyone's faces, realizing that they all looked unhappy.

Shit. Thin walls.

Atticus didn't seem to notice, his free arm wrapping protectively around my waist, but Cash wouldn't look our way, avoiding my gaze like the plague. Hudson kept sending glances my way with big, sad eyes like a hurt puppy. Even Keegan looked awkward and angry as he scarfed down his eggs, despite Sav who sat beside him. I made eye contact with her and she simply shrugged while giving me a halfhearted smile.

"We'll meet at six this evening, everyone. Be ready. We have to be out of the house before seven when Davis comes to get Hattie," Atticus mumbled while flipping through some papers, looking bored. Hudson stopped what he was doing, brows furrowed.

"And what about Thane? Will he-"

"He'll be there," Atticus cut him off tersely without looking up.

The kitchen grew silent and suddenly I didn't want to be there anymore. The air felt icy and cold and I knew everyone was angry. At me. At Atticus. At the whole situation.

How am I going to fix this?

"Have fun last night, you two?" Keegan muttered sharply. My entire body flushed red.

"Keegan," Sav whispered in chastisement. Atticus looked up slowly, unbothered, while I turned into a puddle of shame in his lap.

"Is there something you need to get off your chest, Keegan?" Atticus asked diplomatically, albeit lazily.

Keegan glanced over at Hudson briefly before answering. "Yeah, actually, there is. Maybe you two could be a little bit more considerate of the men in this house who haven't had the opportunity to get over Hattie yet," he stated, his voice firm and protective. Hudson didn't look up from his toast as he spread butter over the top, though his jaw clenched. My heart broke.