Chapter 37

"Are you excited to play again?" Richard asked as we pulled up to the building. It sat in the heart of downtown, like so many of the other places we played. This one was slightly different though. Valet parking. Beautiful landscaping around the outside. A hostess standing outside under a string of white lights holding a tray of champagne. This is it. Big money.

The entire ride, I'd been shaking with nerves. Every time we'd played before, I'd been with one of them. I'd been safe, with one of my guys. Now, I was alone, with someone I barely knew and absolutely did not trust.

Richard exited the car and walked around to open my door. "I am, but it's been a while. Let's just hope I don't lose everything in one night."

I laughed, as did he. I hadn't figured out my strategy for the night just yet. I knew I could win, but my nerves could easily get the best of me. I didn't want to go in too confidently and lose it all. I needed to play smart.

"I won't let that happen, darling. Stay by my side. I'll look out for you."

I slipped my arm in his and he led me to the door. He handed me a glass of champagne and took one for himself. I made a mental note to keep tabs on how much I was drinking. The last thing I wanted was to get too drunk to play.

When we walked inside, a long hallway took us to an open room. I glanced around taking inventory, more or less. Two large poker tables sat near each other on raised platforms. Each table had enough seats for ten players plus a dealer. To the right, a covered bar already bustled with men and a couple of women ordering drinks and chatting. My eyes immediately landed on Sabrina talking with an older man and Cash ordering a drink from the bartender.

"Would you like something to drink?"

I politely swished my champagne in the air. "This should do me just fine for now. But I'm sure I'll need another one soon."

He chuckled as more people walked through the entryway. Hudson and Keegan came together and I realized that obviously they would have to know each other; they look exactly alike. They made their way across the room to speak to a young man in an expensive tux, tailored to perfection, and gold jewelry on his wrists and fingers. Jackson walked in from a side room and gave me a dazzling smile. I smiled softly back before turning my attention to Richard again.

Well, hell. Hudson was right. This night is going to be interesting.

Immediately, realization hit me and I started to panic. Everyone in this room seemed to be people we'd played with before. We knew each other more than Atticus had bargained for, with Jackson and Sabrina there. Richard thought I was with Atticus, and he knows we broke up. But Hudson and I were together as far as Jackson knew just a couple of days ago. And now here I was, clinging to Richard's arm.

Fuck.

Almost as if he read my thoughts, Hudson broke away from Keegan and the other man, strolling across the room to Jackson. I watched from the corner of my eye as they shook hands and began to talk. After just a few words between them, I noticed subtle glances my way as Hudson shoved his hands in his pockets and looked upset. I knew it probably hadn't been hard to lie that we'd broken up. I silently thanked him for taking care of it.

Richard and I talked for a few minutes, mostly about his many powerful jobs, which I didn't mind. Just as I began to lose interest and glanced around the room, Atticus walked through the door, his jaw firm and eyes hard. The black curls on his forehead fell in his eyes just a little and made my heart ache. He meandered languidly into the room and after a quick look around, his eyes landed hard on me.

Richard saw everything and pulled me closer to his side, letting his hand travel lower onto my back. I hated it. But I swallowed my unease and leaned into him, desperate to keep our secret safe.