Chapter 38

"Fuck," I whispered and stepped away from Atticus. He put a finger to his lips, signaling for me to be quiet before taking a few steps and stopping behind the bathroom door. Half a second passed before Richard opened it and I stepped forward, meeting him in the doorway.

"Oh hey, Richard. I was just freshening my make-up. Miss me?" I giggled lightly, trying to ignore the coating of sweat on the back of my neck.

Richard smiled softly down at me, obviously still a little unsure. His dark, slightly graying hair fell onto his forehead a bit, and I thought back to when Sav had lost her mind at how handsome he was. I did agree with her, my stomach churned with nervousness when I stood near him; but he was not Atticus. No one ever would be. I reached out and wrapped my hand around his arm and pulled myself against him. "I just got a little worried when I saw Atticus head this way after you. I thought he might try to corner you or something."

"Well, I'm fine, babe! He wouldn't dare, with you around." I grinned and led him back to the tables. "But, I really think I'm going to win soon. I can feel it."

"I think you might be right," Richard said after a chuckle and I breathed a sigh of relief when the bathroom door shut behind us, forgotten. "We just need to do something about Thane. He's a brilliant poker player."

"I wouldn't say brilliant," I shot back, annoyed, before I could stop myself. He turned sharply to look at me as we entered the room and I changed my tone, fast. "He's smart. But maybe one of us can outsmart him."

"I genuinely hope so," he winked and pulled out my chair for me to sit.

In the back of my mind, Thane's worries ran through my brain. Someone slipped past us? Maybe I should have left. If something happens, everything could go to shit.

But then again, it's a feeling. He's not even sure. He just...thinks. That's not enough. Right? And even so, I can take care of myself. Especially with all of them around.

Right?

The dealer started the next round while my thoughts wandered, absent-mindedly sipping my martini. I decided at the very least, I needed to keep my eyes and ears open and alert. Focused on the room around me. Just in case.

"Madame? Your call," the dealer pulled me from my thoughts and I perked up. I hadn't even looked at my cards. Not really.

I lifted the edges secretly, glancing at my cards with all the calm, collected manner I could muster. Calm; despite the noises and distractions around me. Despite my eyes which so desperately wanted to land on Atticus when I saw him trudge back to his table from the bathroom.

I nearly gasped.

I hoped my eyes didn't grow round.

I prayed my cheeks didn't flush.

Slowly, breathing, I dragged my eyes back to the cards in front of the dealer.

Jack of Hearts.

King of Hearts.

In my hand, I had a Queen of Hearts and a ten of Hearts. The dealer had only the river to put in the line-up of community cards. One more card. One chance.

I could have a fucking Royal Flush.

"Madame?" The dealer, as well as the rest of the table, stared at me, waiting for me to make a move.

My palms grew sweaty as I tried with every ounce of my being to remain calm.

Should I call or raise? If I raise, I could give myself away. But my odds of winning are ridiculous.