41. Fear

12:53 p.m

I lock my car in the basement of Iris' apartment and walk towards the elevator. It was soon to be one but since she hadn't arrived yet, given her car wasn't in the parking lot, I do not hurry to get into the empty house when I'm feeling too uneasy after what happened earlier though it should've been comforting that we wouldn't cross paths again.

I press onto the third floor button and as soon as the elevator door closes, I get a call from David. The uneasiness inside me gets worse, making my hands sweat out of nervousness. I wipe the sweat off my hand, against my shirt and pick up the call.

"Hurry up, Austin!" His voice unsteady and loud with nervousness. I look at the floor I'm already on and press onto the basement button but this elevator doesn't stop going upwards. "We're in the hospital." I hear his sobs and my hands start shaking while my eyes gets teary. I hear him speaking something to someone else, which doesn't get registered in my mind. I smash the basement floor button continuously as I start feeling weak and my whole body starts shaking out of fear, while tears are rolling down my cheeks and landing on the floor.

The elevator door opens on the third floor and since there is no one, I press the close button instantly for me to get to the basement, as soon as possible.

"David, please hand over the phone to her. I want to speak to her." My voice shaking too, as I'm gasping for air while trying to control myself from crying. I want to speak to her, hear her voice, hold her warm hands and be in her warm embrace.

"A- Aus-", her weak voice aching my heart to the extent that I can't breath well now.

"Grandma, listen to me. Please be strong. Nothing is going to happen. I'm coming soon." I voice out in a hurry.

"I love you, Aus." Her sobs, clenching my heart more by each passing second.

"I love you too." I say under my breath, audible enough and bite my lower lip to not get too overwhelmed from the pain I'm feeling right now. Soon, I hear some anonymous voice speaking through the call line and the sound of a door getting slided. The elevator door opens at the same time, on the basement floor and Iris looks at me with a smile, while I'm a crying mess.

"Hey," Her smile vanishes and she touches my shoulder gently but I grab her wrist in an hurry with my other hand and walk us to my car as she is following me without any further interrogation.

"David, what happened?" I speak under my breath.

"They took her inside. I don't know what's happening." His cries making me worse to control my emotions which I clearly do not want to. "Just get here soon, Austin, please. I'll be waiting."

"Alright." I say and cut the call.

I open the driver's seat door and Iris stops me. "I'll drive." She holds my wrist and I nod as I'm clearly not in the right state to drive. I go to the other side and take the seat beside the driver's.

She doesn't waste any time and starts the ignition once we are buckled up with our seatbelts and drives us off her apartment. I wipe my tears off and put in the location of the hospital and she nods, looking at the map.

We both do not dare to speak any word to each other, aware that words don't make this situation any better.

Once we reach the hospital, I do not waste any moment to get out of the car, wait for Iris to lock the car door, hold her hand with mine and run with her inside the hospital.

"Emma Mabel," I say my grandma's name at the counter of the hospital to know where they both are. The receptionist looks at her computer for a few seconds before speaking.