30. Empty House

"Fine, I'll say it to him." She says, her tears building up the pain in me.

Looking at the strong woman who always dominates over others, crying helplessly now, makes my heart clench even more. Especially after knowing that she had to pretend to be strong even during her weakest moments. "Get up, Iris" She gets up from her chair and I get back on my feet with her help. "I'll ask him to come to my house later at night and then I'll speak about this with him." I nod. "Go back to your house now and take rest today. I'll ask someone to be there at your office in your absence. Don't worry." She worries about me while she's fighting the biggest battle of her life, making it hard for me control my tears.

"Do you have to worry about me even now? You are the one who should stop working and Mr. Kim," I look over at him "Is there no way where you can stop her from working?"

"No." Ms. Mabel answers for him making me look over at her. "Who's going to work in my absence? Will you?" She raises her eyebrows but her look wasn't as strong as it used to be because of her lifeless eyes, drowned in tears.

"If you can appoint a director for my company, I'm sure you can appoint for your's too."

"I can't trust them with my company forever. I'm asking you to take care of my company after I am gone because I can trust you. Will you?"

"What do you mean?" I do not knowing how to react to her words.

"You can take over my company and the shares I have in your company will be yours without any complications and this company of mine will be a part of your company then." She stands in front of me now. "I wanted Austin to take over this company but he just doesn't want to and now, since you are like my grand daughter, I want you to handle this company too when I'm gone."

"Can you please stop talking about the future for now?" I do not want to imagine the time she wouldn't be here. "We can talk about that later. I want you to focus on Austin for now and not on this company." She nods with a genuine smile but still painful as ever. "Please go to your home for now and take some rest." She nods again making me sad that she doesn't rebel to me anymore even though I didn't want her to.

"I'll go and you should go too." She looks over at Mr. Kim "Can you do the necessary?" He nods and asks us to leave, pushing us gently out of her office. I reach to the room we were earlier to find Denise but she wasn't there anymore making me think that she might be in my car because she was the one who had my keys after I handed it over to her.

Ms. Mabel follows me as I head out of the room, heading to the elevator and we both don't speak anything the whole time but as soon as we are about to part our ways to reach our own cars, she stops me but doesn't speak anything for a few seconds.

"I'm sorry," she finally speaks out with sincerity. I wanted to hear these words from her with sincerity always but not at this moment. I wanted her to behave like she always behaved like. Strong, rude and dominant but now, she seemed to have given up on her strong side making me lose my mind. "I'm sorry for controlling you so much and most importantly for forcing you into this marriage but all I can say is," She looks into my eyes and holds my hands with hers. "I don't regret forcing you to marry Austin." She takes off her hands from mine and looks away. "But now, I've changed my mind. I'll terminate the contract. I won't force you both to stay together any more. However, I would be the happiest person if you both choose to be there for the each other. I'll respect both of your decisions from now on." She walks away leaving me dumbstruck.