33. Misty Eyes

"I'm terminating the marriage contract. You both don't have to force yourselves into this anymore."

"What?" I say under my breath, "Why?" I look at her with a sad expression. I knew it was wrong for me to not like this when Iris wanted nothing but freedom and not to get controlled on, but I still did not like this, especially after last night.

"Yeah, I'll respect both of your choices from now on." Her words hurt me because I feel like Iris' choice wouldn't be me.

Last night definitely made me feel confident enough to confess my feelings but she wasn't sober after all. Her today's behaviour also gave me confidence but now that I think of it, it was probably because she wanted to comfort me beforehand. She never showed me clear signals. I look down at my hands that were on my thighs, getting hurt again.

"Do you perhaps like her?" She raises a question which was better off if not asked.

"I don't know." I lie her because I've realised that I like her. When she glances at me, when she talks to me, when she smiles at me, when she touches me, when she comforts me, when she makes eye contact with me, when she cries in front of me... Just everything she does. Just when she is with me, all of them have a significant effect on me. Her presence brings happiness to me even when I'm sad. Her absence makes me feel weak even when I feel strong. I just know. I like her.

She doesn't say anything more and gets off the couch, making me look at her. "Coffee?"

"I'll do it." I get off the couch and head to kitchen as she follows me. She pulls a chair from the dining table and places it in front of the kitchen counter for me to stay in her sight.

I keep the water to boil on the induction plate and wait for it to boil. "Grandma," I call her to have her attention on me. "I think I like her." I drop down my gaze on the kitchen counter where she is resting her hands on but soon look back at her and she is smiling genuinely. "What do I do?" I bite my lower lip getting nervous after confessing it to my grandma.

"Ask her out, you little brat." She snorts.

"Well," I scratch my hair involuntarily. "I'm a bit nervous."

"Why? That's so unlike of you. You've changed, God." She looks up, making me close my eyes and leave a breath out with a smile.

"I don't know, I'm just too nervous but anyways I'm not gonna ask her out any soon. You get all my attention for now." I turn off the induction plate, pour the hot liquid on the coffee grounds to get the coffee brewed and look at her being disappointed.

"No." She says as soon as I look at her.

"Why?"

"I want to see you both being lovey-dovey too." She makes me sad again and I run out of words. "Confess her soon." She looks away like a cute child and sulks, making me smile but out of pain. It still hurts like hell that this wonderful human in front of me wouldn't stay with me after a few months.

"Okay. Stop sulking." I place her cup in front of her and take a sip from mine.

"When are we going to Canada?" I speak up after a few seconds.

"Like in two days?" I nod at her words.

"Have you texted him?" I ask her and she shakes her head. "Seriously?" I shake my head in disappointment, teasing her. "Is he married?" I ask her again and she looks at me.

"I don't know." We both stare at each other for a few confused seconds. "It would be weird to meet my first love if he's married to someone else right?"

"I guess so." I snort. "You better text him soon huh." She nods while smiling. I look back at my cup to focus on my drink.

"Why do you like Iris?" She raises a question and makes me look at her.