10|| Muscular Nanny & Fanciful Assistant

"I hate getting flashbacks from things I don't want to remember."

***

Unedited

Sammy was the only boy who never treated me like Avni Desai or like any status that comes with that name. With him, I was me. I was just plain Avni, and he never judged me for that. With him, I discovered the parts of me that never existed. I learned to live with him.

After school, we would usually go to his house, a very cozy place that felt like home. He would often divulge his secret recipes and prepare new dishes for me, each dish super delicious with a heavenly taste that would put my home chef to shame. No doubt he would have been a great chef. Spending time with him was absolute bliss, and somewhere, I was getting attached to him.

Slowly I was growing affixed to his checkered shirt, big ebony eyes underneath his spheroidal glasses, rumpled soft brown curls, and non-funny jokes. His creased handkerchief with which he would wipe the corner of my lips when I would completely forget etiquettes while savoring food prepared by him. Simplicity was his armor, and I admired him for that.

We laughed so well together, walking into the school theatre. Sammy cleared his throat, sizing up, brushing invisible dust from his leather jacket and fixing the vintage sunglasses on his discomfited face. A stifled laugh burst out of my mouth, only to hurriedly covered it with my fist. Oh boy, I was late. Sammy was already glowering at me for laughing at his unconformable state. I smacked his arms and asked him to remove his sunglasses as we took our seats in the second row, to which he obliged immediately.

Sammy, dressed in dark jeans, a navy blue sweater, and a cognac-colored leather bomber jacket, looked devastatingly hot. Girls sitting in the auditorium were already stealing glances at him shamelessly, and few looked like they'd combust on the spot. They averted their gaze away when I raised an eyebrow at them. I haven't anointed a bitch for nothing.

I didn't understand why he sported this outfit exhaustively opposite his usual plain shirt underneath a checkered shirt. He would act quite strange for the past few days, and it started taking a toll on me where I could only hope that I won't get gray hair at the end of that year.

The auditorium's lights dimmed, and the play started as I leaned back on my seat, munching on popcorn. Rudra appeared on the stage and started saying his lines. Admiration gleamed in my eyes as I watched Rudra performing, and my actions didn't go unnoticed by Sammy, who quickly snapped his head back to the play when I caught him staring at me.

A twinge of pink hue crept over his face as I pursued my lips and kept staring at Sammy. Sometimes, he felt like a mysterious fallen angel, with a beautiful smile and a closed soul. He was like a missing piece of the puzzle, but at the same complete enigma himself.

At that moment, he looked so innocent that I wanted to slam him to his seat and kiss him badly until he blushed hard, but I quickly blocked out these thoughts when I heard Rudra saying his lines. Muttering a curse, I drew my attention back to the play.

After the play ended, Sammy and I rushed out, but much to my luck, we stumbled upon Rudra, who had a smile curled on his face. His lips settled into a thin line as his gaze drifted to Sammy, his outfit, and our intertwined hands. I didn't notice Sammy squirming under his stares, but instead, my mind reeled to this unusual behavior of Rudra.

Collecting his wits, Rudra cleared his throat and invited me to come to the success party of his show. Noting the skeptical expression on my face, he insisted till I agreed. Sammy got invited, too, who was quite uncertain about attending the party, but I urged him. I heaved a sigh of relief when he agreed because I needed him, especially for tonight's party.