06|| Trouble in Paradise & first dance

"It is absolutely terrifying; the kind of deep suffering the happiest looking people are able to hide inside themselves."

-Nitika Gill

***

Avni snickered as he sat beside her. Her mind was still in a daze with this close proximity. She gave him a sideglance and uttered, trying to keep her voice low so that no one could get a whiff of her annoyance, "Now you've resorted to stalking."

Viransh let out a chuckle and stared at the people sitting at the table.

"Mr. Malik, glad you join us." Ashton smiled at the younger guy, the host of today's event.

"Pleasure's all mine, Mr. Ryder."

"Oh, please call me Ashton. Mr. Ryder makes me feel old."

"Yet you still refer to me by my surname. I hardly think that is fair." Viransh said earnestly, causing both the men to chuckle.

"But you're are old, bimbo," Alex retorted at his earlier words.

"Shut up, Alex! We both are of the same age," Ashton glowered at his friend before looking at Nik and smirking, "If anyone here old is, then it's your brother."

Amara and Cara shook their head before commenting on their childish behavior, "You both start fighting anywhere."

Nik scowled at the two men while sipping on his drink, trying his best to ignore them as usual.

"Hey! My husband is not that old. Shut up, you both!" Chincy warbled in their conversation, taking his husband's side.

Avni and Viransh looked at their banter, then at each other. They both just sat there awkwardly.

Looking at their awkward faces, Chincy passed them a smile, "Please, ignore them."

Viransh cleared his throat, his gaze darting towards Ashton and Amara as he guessed, "and this must be your beautiful wife."

Amara blushed at his commendation, returning his gesture. "Nice to meet you."

Viransh turned to Alex, "Nice to meet you again, Alex."

"You too," Alex responded with a smile, "This is my wife, cup-Cara."

"That's my brother Nikolas Viarchi and his wife Chincy," Alex introduced his brother and sister-in-law.

Viransh greeted them all before slumping back comfortably on his seat, looking at the woman beside him. He couldn't help but stare. Avni's eyes were softly glowing, and her braided hair fell on the small of her back. His hands itched to brush the tendrils of her hair falling on her florid cheeks, some of them teasing her eyes. She looked so innocent and pure.

The ladies sitting at the table stared at them in awe while the men just smiled, reminiscing themselves in their position a few years back.

"So, are you both dating each other?" Amara asked suddenly, her curious voice exciting Cara and Chincy as well. They leaned forward, ready to hear a new love story sparkling between them.

Avni and Viransh looked startled. Composing herself, Avni tried to deny their assumption, "No, we-"

"Yes, we are," Viransh declared while keeping his arms around Avni's bare shoulder, looking down into her eyes, erupting warm tingles in her body. His amber eyes flickered in amusement, enjoying the horrified expression on her face.

"Oh, so, you were pissed at him. Trouble in paradise?" Cara asked, narrowing her eyes at him and smiling at Avni.

Well, there's no paradise in the first place.