28 | merde

"With that we conclude our unit on special integrals

"With that we conclude our unit on special integrals." The advanced mathematics teacher ends her lecture just minutes before the lunch bell.

I tune out the rest of the teacher's words- she's droning on about the upcoming national entrance tests for university admissions to keep the class occupied until the period ends, but I have more important things to worry about.

I'm worn out after staying up most of the night writing up the joke of an archival audit that Dad wanted me to have ready by morning. After that, I spent a couple of hours tinkering around on Devin's mobile phone- I deleted all the questionable chats after carefully taking a copy of them as well as the deleted history, changed the MAC and IP addresses, inserted an undetectable bug to tap in to the phone's data in the days that followed and shamelessly scrolled through his personal chats with Madison looking for tea which I could use later if the need be. After that I think I passed out for around forty minutes before my blaring alarm rang and Dad came up to check if I was ready to go for my five mile morning run on the beach.

Gamal did keep his word and sent a draft copy of the official version in the early hours of the morning but even seeing the faint surprise and amusement in Dad's expression wasn't enough to brighten my day.

My eyelids flutter, and I lay my chin on my palm, not realising that I've dozed off until my chin slips and I feel my face free falling in the front.

Nathaniel, who's sitting in the seat next to mine, breaks my fall with one hand and steadies me.

"Careful, Ariya," he whispers gently, "You'll hurt yourself. Just try to stay awake for a minute more until the bell rings and we can get you to the restroom so you can wash your face and freshen up."

"Yeah, ok." I mumble, "More than a splash of water on my face, I need adderall to help me focus at this point."

I blink my eyes rapidly, inhaling deeply. But the moment I stop, my eyes begin to close of their own accord. Sighing, I lean to the side until my head hits the soft edge of Nathaniel's shoulder and burrow my face into the soft and warm woollen fabric of his signature dark grey turtleneck.

He stiffens in response but I'm enjoying the warmth too much to tell him to calm his tits. He begins to protest in quiet whispers but is cut off by the shrill bell that signifies the end of the period.

I feel cool, slender fingers brush a strand of hair out of my face carefully. I smile leaning in a little.

"Ariya?" Nathaniel calls out gently, as the rest of the students hurry out of the classroom to enjoy the seventy five minute long break, "It's time to wake up. You will find yourself feeling more exhausted if you do not eat something now."

"Just a couple of minutes longer. Please Nathaniel, people don't mind it if their friends sleep on their shoulders." I mumble.

Figuring out that I wasn't planning to stop clinging to his warmth, he relaxes just a bit.