25 | melt

I look at the bottle, exhaling calmly, although I'm internally mortified and have half my mind made up to say that Nathaniel is a cousin of mine and kissing him would be weird

"I suppose it's great that I have a friend to help me out in my first stint of this game." Nathaniel nods earnestly.

Sure, talk about not having to step out of your fucking comfort zone!

Swallowing air, I shoot daggers at the side of his face with my eyes as my mouth goes dry.

"Man, I can see the tension already." Jordan jokes lightheartedly, "Let's get you locked inside the coat room, yeah?

"You have a coat room?" Cyana asks, slightly perplexed, "In a beach house? Isn't that odd."

"Ok honestly, I have no idea what that room is for." Jordan confesses, scratching the back of his neck, "But my relatives always hang their umbrellas and hats over there."

I silently pray that this useless coat room conversation sidetracks everyone from the goddamn immature game we're playing, but obviously that doesn't happen.

Nathaniel himself stands up once their conversation dies down and holds out a hand for me to stand up. He looks swoon worthy with that gorgeous dimpled smile his lips have curled up in the most beautiful curve I've ever seen on a human being's face and I'd probably admire his silent charm if I wasn't so flustered already.

Sensing my frazzled nerves, Madison helpfully offers me a couple of light rose pink flavoured vodka shots and nods at me to down them.

I shake my head, politely refusing them- Dad's long list of warnings ringing inside my head on repeat.

"Nathaniel, word of advice, do not start off with tongue." Jordan thumps his back, "Let Ariya set the pace of the kiss."

His eyes widen with realisation as he finally connects the dots and he's about to protest, but Madison is already pushing us determinedly towards the coat room.

"Just seven minutes, Ariya." She reassures, thrusting a single shot glass into my hand before giving another identical one to Nathaniel.

"Keep the shots." she grins, "You look like you might need them."

When the door is locked behind us, I drink my shot in three unhurried and consecutive sips instead of downing it at once to slow down it's effect before setting it on one of the shelves. Nathaniel eyes his filled shot glass skeptically before setting it on top of the shelf beside mine.

"I have never uh-" an intense blush colours his cheeks as he fidgets with the ring on his left pinky finger, "Done anything like this before."

"Yeah, it definitely wasn't obvious." I retort snarkily, rolling my eyes.

Nathaniel looks up hopefully, "So do we wait out the seven minutes or-"

"Shh," I hold up a finger to my lips, leaning forward to whisper in his ears, "They're probably listening at the door. So don't say something like that aloud."