03 | dubiety

"Bye Ariya!" Mum waves from the foyer as Dad and I carried my luggage to the car standing in the driveway

"Bye." I struggle not grunt rudely in response.

I'm still annoyed at the fact that she was sending me away like I was some disposable ragdoll that she was done playing with.

I know I am overreacting but a girl gets to do at least that, right?

I'm surprised to see Dad in a loose flannel and faded jeans, a far cry from his all black attire of choice. Even his Ray Bans have been replaced with rimless spectacles that make him look oddly unrecognizable.

Something about him seems different and I can't seem to place my finger on what yet. I frown to myself as I watch him load my heaviest suitcase into the boot of the car.

He doesn't stand taut like he always does-one of the tell-tale signs of him being in the armed forces and he's been awfully touchy since he arrived. Not in a bad way. He's just been more huggy and helpful- more like a normal father and not a commanding officer.

"Is that all, kiddo?" he calls out, wiping away the shine from his forehead with the sleeve of his button down.

"Yep." I answer, climbing into the backseat of the car before texting Mum goodbye.

She obviously doesn't understand that I'm pissed at her because she runs down the stairs to my window and pulls my face towards hers to place an overly affectionate kiss on my forehead.

"Bye sweety." She smiles, "I expect you to call me every single day, okay?"

"Hmph." I nod quickly, fiddling with my fingers on my lap as I avoid eye contact.

"Now Ariya, I want you to take care of yourself and your father. Also when you get your period..." Mum launches into her usual set of instructions when Dad interrupts.

"Carol, we should get going now if we want to reach by sundown." He states, adjusting the rear view mirror and turning the car key into ignition.

"Right, of course." Mum nods, taking a step away, "All the best Ariya! Don't give your father too much trouble!"

Biting back and small smile, I lean back and make myself comfortable in my seat as Dad drives out and navigates the car to the nearest highway.

A comfortable silence descends over us. It's always been like that with Dad and me. He was a man of little words, preferring to be precise in his banter. Even his affection seemed calculated but I knew for a fact that he was a total softie within.

I glance at his graying hair briefly before gazing at the lush green expanse lining the highway.

My mind tirelessly jumps from scenario to scenario as they play out inside my head.

I've already decided to make the most of this opportunity. I didn't want to waste it wallowing in self pity or grovelling through assignments. I had eight months before I graduated and I was going to have fun.