08 | spur

"I don't understand why you dragged me to this place straight after school, Ariya

"I don't understand why you dragged me to this place straight after school, Ariya." Nathaniel looks around skeptically, "This neighbourhood doesn't exactly look very safe."

"I'm getting those ear piercings you recommended." I announce with a determined grin, as I place my hands on my waist and look up at the dusty neon board above the tattoo and piercing store, "And this is the only place I can afford at the moment. It's safe though. Maddison Wu from Advanced Chemistry said so and she has three piercings on each ear."

Nathaniel shrugs.

"If the cost was the only problem, you could have asked me. I have a lot of money to spare from the emergency fund allotted to me and the valuation of the Uranic dollar is seven times that of the normal dollar." Nathaniel suggests, "I don't like the look of this place."

I roll my eyes in response.

"And you wonder why people in high school hate you." I mutter under my breath.

"I believe that's a genuine concern." Nathaniel debates. I almost forgot about his advanced hearing for a moment.

"I'm helpful and understanding. I treat everyone respectfully and never put others down. Yet I have students strictly maintaining at least ten feet distance when they are not making fun of my appearance or spilling various liquids on my clothes." He continues.

"Maybe if you were less patronizing all the time, everyone would like you better." I reply impatiently, scanning the magazine sheets with printed tattoo designs stuck on the glass door of the piercing and tattoo store.

"I believe in being the bigger person." He states diplomatically.

Nathaniel has been getting bullied and teased almost everyday since we joined Wolfrock Secondary six days ago. But he seems unperturbed by it. He thinks the others are simply jealous of his handsome outfits from Italy and Paris, and remarkably deep knowledge of every subject he's opted for in the senior year, and that it'll stop soon if he decides to be the bigger person.

He sighs in defeat and motions for me to enter first before following me into the small store.

I had almost scoffed inwardly with disbelief when he explained why he wouldn't let me have a word with his bullies. His ignorance is surprisingly entertaining but that was only because the bullying and teasing hasn't taken a physical turn yet. But that will never happen. Most of the boys who enjoyed picking on Nathaniel have been vying to be in my good books since the first day and since Nathaniel is always with me and they know better than to antagonize him too much.

"Yo guys!" a familiar face greets us.

"Hi!" I say with a bright grin before taking a brief pause, trying to put a name to the face, "Umm I'm sorry but I don't remember your name."

The dark boy's eyes glint playfully as he shrugs.

"It's been some five days since you arrived so no worries, babe." The boy chuckles, "I'm Truck by the way, I'm sure ya guys will be seeing me around a lot more often."