14 | disparate

Lunch breaks for seniors at Wolfrock Secondary are long

Lunch breaks for seniors at Wolfrock Secondary are long. Like an hour and fifteen minutes long. Students are expected to use this time not just for eating and causing a ruckus in the cafeteria, but also for staying back in classrooms and getting doubts clarified or visiting the school's college counsellor.

But the best policies on paper can turn out to be the most terribly implemented ones practically. So it wasn't surprising to note that the students of Wolfrock Secondary habitually procrastinated going to the college counsellor until absolutely necessary and spent their lunch breaks playing tonsil hockey behind the bleachers or driving home for lunch and back.

Luckily, that meant that I got a lot of time to build a poster image of myself with the teachers by staying back to talk to them every once in a while.

I wanted to leave a mark here. It was important to me, especially after the disagreeable manner in which my last school kicked me out.

"Thanks Prof. See you day after tomorrow." I half smile at Mr Hummel, my Biology teacher.

"Bye, Ariya. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the next topic. Maybe you can read up on cloning if it interests you since it's related." He offers kindly.

Mr Hummel is passionate and used to be a pretty renowned figure in the local research horizon before he suddenly gave up everything to come and live a quiet life with his wife in this small coastal town after he hit his early sixties. Research hounds still managed to find his address and some of his fan mail and recommendation requests also reached his high school office desk. And well, I wasn't going to waste the opportunity of being in his good books. Extra cred for future recommendation letters was too hard to pass.

"I think he can tell that you're trying to kiss the ground he walks on." Nathaniel remarks nonchalantly, not looking up from his phone screen.

"I know he does, but I don't see him complaining either. Besides it can be fun, and I'm pretty sure no one else bothers talking to him anyway." I shrug.

He'd been waiting outside the classroom for me since it was awkward for him to sit quietly in class without contributing to my discussion with Hummel and we were supposed to be with each other at all times.

"Your idea of fun is far from sensible." Nathaniel says, brushing off the back of his pants as he stands up.

"I bet it's better than yours." I turn to give him a pointed look, "You do homework on Sundays and scour through your arms deals archives whenever you have free time."

"Let's just brush past this topic, shall we?" Nathaniel grunts, shaking his head.

I chuckle, pushing his arm lightly.

"Sure, why don't you what were looking at so intently on your phone while I was inside with Hummel?" I ask, curious.

"Oh, nothing of consequence." He waves it off instantly.