26 | pacify

Before he can react, I extract Devin's mobile phone from his pocket nimbly and place it out of his reach

"Give my phone back." he grunts, fighting against my grasp, "For fuck sake can someone please tell me what the fuck-"

Sighing, Nathaniel gives Devin a semi-apologetic look before stuffing a large fragrant lemon into his mouth to muffle his words. Shaking his head, he slips his hand into his trouser pocket and pulls out a crisply folded handkerchief, wiping his hands on a clean white linen before inverting the wiped side and pocketing it again.

"We should take this somewhere more private." he states grimly, walking around Devin and helping me fasten his hands with the duct tape he found in the kitchen drawer beside the fridge, "It's in everyone's best interest that no one else witnesses this. It'll be quite a task to deal with in case someone unexpectedly walks in for a glass of water or something."

Nathaniel regards Devin in silence, the boy on his knees glaring defiantly at him. Devin's jaw clenches as he tries to spit out the large lemon. Pinching his face slightly, Nathaniel tapes his mouth in a quick stroke before putting the duct tape back where he found it, patting a speck of dust off the fabric of his pants with a touch of smugness flashing across his face.

My body freezes for a moment, a little taken aback at Nathaniel's unkind action, but I observe wordlessly. As long as he doesn't get asphyxiated, Devin can manage with the lemon inside his mouth for a couple of minutes while we move him. Right?

I frown disapprovingly.

He kicks his legs about frantically as we pick him up, squirming desperately but stops immediately when Nathaniel pulls out a familiar looking silver tipped syringe.

My breath hitches as I swallow, my eyes widening and I shake my head but Nathaniel ignores me. As we lead Devin outside through the back door of the kitchen, I mentally debate whether Nathaniel would be cruel enough to actually go through with it. It pains me to think that he just might, if aggravated enough. After all, he'd threatened to poison me with it and had ended up using that deadly neurotoxic cocktail on me too although I'd conveniently passed it off as accidental.

Any trace of my cherry vodka induced haze has disappeared now and so is my urge to pee. The effects of my fight-or-flight hormones finally kicking in I suppose.

Once Devin is outside, we usher him along, urgently leading him into the garage and lock the door behind us before anyone catches a glimpse of us.

Nudging him into a corner, I carefully pull off the duct tape on his mouth. Despite the fact that Devin might just be the person who was stalking us, I don't have the heart to hurt him unnecessarily.

He spits out the wet lemon, falling into a coughing fit as he chokes on his own saliva. Once better, he flexes his jaw slowly, glaring venomously at the prince standing a few feet away.