13 | blow

I stare at the weirdly shaped lump of batter that sizzles overtly in the melted butter on the frying pan, with a satisfied grin

I stare at the weirdly shaped lump of batter that sizzles overtly in the melted butter on the frying pan, with a satisfied grin. The batter I mixed is too runny because of the surplus milk I accidentally poured into it to get the desired consistency, and my first pancake looks like a pair of balls with a minuscule dick jutting out from between because the batter ran down one side of the pan when I was trying to pour more. But nothing can beat my brimming pride right now.

In short, I'm mighty proud of the pseudo success of my first culinary endeavour.

It doesn't take very long for the pancake to become a beautiful golden brown, and I turn it using a life hack I saw on Tik-tok a few days ago.

When it looks properly cooked, I plate it carefully and proceed to pour another round of batter onto the fry pan before taking my first pancake to Dad's bedroom.

"Good morning Dad!" I chime zealously, opening the door a little and peeking in after knocking twice.

"Good morning. Come in." He motions for me to enter.

He's already dressed for work and is flipping through a file intently, sipping his cup of morning tea every few seconds with a slurry sound.

It's too early to eat, just seven five, but I have to be at school by eight and I really don't want anyone to miss out on eating a lovely, warm breakfast- basically, something that is not cereal or raw fruit.

"What is this you've prepared, Ariya?" my father purses his lips as he eyes my dick shaped pancake with curiosity.

"Why, it's a pancake, of course!" I thrust the plate into his hand along with a bottle of chocolate and maple syrup in different compartments that open up to a common nozzle, "I thought I'd give you the honour of tasting my first one."

"Oh—"

"You're welcome. Eat it while it's still warm, Dad!" I cut in impatiently, "Now I need to go check on the pancake on the fry pan before it burns."

I waltz out of his bedroom and into the kitchen and I'm welcomed by a lovely buttery aroma wafting about the small space.

"Hmm." I hum to myself as I lean forward to get a better look at the rich golden-brown colour and air bubbles that have firmed, flipping the pancake and readying another plate.

"Hello, Ariya. It's a pleasant morning, isn't it?" Nathaniel walks into the kitchen at exactly seven twenty.

"Today is. I'm cooking for the first time."

"Have you finally given up on your cereal?" he asks, raising his brow somewhat playfully.

"Given up wouldn't be the right phrase." I wiggle a finger, unfazed, "More like bored and craving for variety. Besides, I'm sure you're bored of eating fruit and milk for breakfast every morning too, so here's something new for you to try."