but..

that wasn't how it was to kenji.

he knows that even if ymari thought nothing more of terushima, it wasn't the same for the latter.

because he knows that look.

he looks at her like she has the stars in her eyes, the moon in her smile, and the entire universe in her scintillating presence.

he knows the way terushima looks at ymari all too well.

because that's how kenji's been looking at her since the day they first met.

"oi." utsui nudged her brother.

the two were walking back inside the main court of the sendai sports gymnasium for the quarter-finals of the spring junior inter-high, after buying something from the stalls.

kenji snapped out of his reverie, looking at his sister. "huh?"

utsui frowned. "you seem out of it. what's up?"

the boy averted his gaze and just walked. "it's nothing."

"you're my twin." utsui deadpanned. "i know something's up, so just tell me."

kenji just blinked, shrugging his sister off. "shut up, i said it's nothing."

utsui had a tick mark on her forehead. their twin telepathy thing wasn't broken and it was sending her blatant signs that her brother wasn't at all in a good place right now.

"right~ so why am i getting a vague feeling of jealousy right now?"

kenji's eyes widened, before he coughed to cover it up. "you might be jealous that your crush is cheering for shiratorizawa."

he flinched in pain when utsui slapped the back of his head. "idiot, that's her school, of course she'd cheer on them."

kenji just grumbled underneath his breath. "sure, whatever."

"seriously though—" utsui was cut off when she realized that they finally arrived back at the bleachers.

her brother made his way to his team that were sat down, and she sighed.

he wasn't gonna confront his feelings, huh?

as far as utsui knows, ymari never read the entire letter.

as far as she knows, ymari isn't fully aware of her brother's feelings.

what happened in the volleyball gym bloody valentine's day was the pair's little secret.

she looked at the way her brother took stolen glances at ymari who was typing furiously on her phone— probably trashtalking her aunt, trashtalking keishin ukai, or trashtalking an unlikely anime ship on the online anime fandom website utsui introduced her to a few weeks ago. she likes to mess with adults and other kids on her free time.

she took a seat beside her best friend. she nudged ymari. "hey."

ymari didn't look up, "hey."

utsui clicked her tongue. "i read the report coach gave us for the first string— we're changing the roster for the semi-finals?"

unlike the volleyball league, the basketball league was one step ahead. it was already mid-november, they were in the semi-finals already. finals was in december. then the nationals was in february.

the ravenette shut her phone and pocketed it. she looked at her friend and blinked.

"yeah." she confirmed. "is there anything wrong with it?"