20 | training at tokyo

TWENTY. GF-FORHIRE

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

the girl stepped inside the convenience store, familiar surroundings welcoming her.

it was three in the afternoon of a sunday and she'd just gotten home from hyogo a few hours ago. her pantry was still loaded, but she decided to buy more food to bring when she leaves for tokyo tomorrow.

she grabbed an empty cart and started roaming around, humming a low tune to herself as she did so.

"ymari-chan." a familiar adult's voice called out to her. "long time no see."

she looked at the counter where the man's voice came from. familiar blonde hair pinned back by a wriggly headband met her sight.

"oh, ukai-san." a small smile graced her face.

"i've been really busy with school, basketball, and work." she reasoned out as she took some groceries off the shelves and put them into the cart. "i hardly ever have time to think, rest, or even eat."

ukai shook his head at the girl in disappointment, "you know you can always come here for anything.."

"anything?" her eyes sparkled.

"yeah.." the older male nodded.

"how about my—"

"no." he immediately declined. "anything except answering your math homework."

she pouted, chuckling lightly right after. "dang it. thought i was finally gonna get through to you."

"i never got good grades. you're setting yourself up for failure if you ask me to do that for you." he shook his head, laughing lightly.

she shrugged. "grades don't define a person."

ukai sweatdropped. "only straight-a students get to say that so freely."

"hey, by the way our nationals are two weeks away.." the man trailed off, giving the girl a side glance. "aren't you gonna be in tokyo around that time for training?"

it was already the 20th of december. time flies really fast, especially when you're busy. the protagonist was turning sixteen on the 23rd. it didn't even cross her mind that her birthday was three days away— not like she ever celebrated it anyway.

she briefly looked at him, before looking back down at the tofu packs. "yeah. you're updated with nippon's basketball, old man."

there was a tick mark on ukai's forehead. "you take that back, i am so not old!"

"you sooo are!" she stuck a tongue out at him.

the bell dinged as a new customer went inside.

"as i was saying, before you single-handedly insulted my entire existence.." ukai continued, while ymari chuckled, grabbing a pack of seasonings.