Chapter 8

The party returns, but they have nothing, no information regarding your sisters. It's like they had disappeared off the face of the earth, and you're sure as hell particular that you need to go out and find them because you think that there might be a clue which only you would know. But like last time, Marcus doesn't want you to go. Even though you're an adult, you know that you must listen and trust Marcus.
John was nowhere to be seen, you hadn't seen him for a couple of days, and you hated to admit it, but you missed him. You could still feel his lips against yours, and you hoped that a moment like that would happen again.

He spoke about Helen, don't you remember shooting her? Don't you remember her face before she died?

You sit still and close your eyes as if to wipe the memory, but you can't because it was traumatic and you couldn't get rid of it, and you wouldn't blame John if he were dealing with the same thing. You were well known in the hotel, and you got along with a majority of the people residing here.

'You're looking rath glum there (Y/N)'.

You look over to see old Tom sitting in his usual chair by the fire. A new newspaper is in his wrinkly hands.

'Is it that obvious?'

You chuckle, joining him by the fire, 'everyone knows about what has happened with you and your sisters, and I'm truly sorry about that'.

'I know... I miss them already, but I hate them at the same time'.

Old Tom was the soul of Hotel Continental, and everyone respected him, even Winston. No one would steal his seat near the fire even though there's no name. You remember sitting in that seat and immediately getting into trouble, but Tom was there to save you. He was never angry, but he would be firm so no one could take advantage of him.

'I see you and John have been with each other a little more than I expected. Is everything okay?'

You don't know what to say, but you have something to say, 'look... I was hurt, and I- John nursed me back to health'.
Tom smiled, 'is that so? I always knew John had a soft spot for you', you threw him a disgusted look, 'are you serious? You do know of our history, right?'
Tom nodded, 'yes, I'm well aware, but you don't seem to understand the situation the both of you were in'.

'I know but-'.

Tom shook his head, 'some pasts are harrowing to let go, but you have to. Otherwise, you won't be able to live in the present', he tapped his head and winked, 'because if you don't live in the present, then you won't ever be ready for the future'.

'.... Okay, don't go all mystical and shit on me, old man'.

Tom chuckled, 'but you do understand what I'm saying?' 

'Of course, I do, old Tom'.

You pick at your nails for a few moments, 'it's just that... I'm kind of ready to move on, but I won't blame John for staying back'.

'That is Johns' decision, and you can't do anything about it, sweet girl'.

So here you were, talking to good old Tom, trying to get your mind off of things. You wanted to go out and find your sisters and kill them, that was all she wanted to do, but you knew that you couldn't... At least not yet.

'My, my, is that John over there?'

You look back to see precisely who old Tom had said. 
John entered the lobby and made his way over to the counter, and you're quick to turn away from him, thanking the gods that the armchair you were sitting at was rather significant, which hid you well. John had been gone for a few days, and you were starting to grow worried.

What if he just left for good and went home.

What if he left you behind and threw away those chances that you had with him. You didn't want him to go, but the situation between you two was confusing.
You jump when your phone goes off, and you go to answer the call when you realise that it was Johns' number, so you turn around in your seat, and your eyes connect with his. He lowers the phone from his ear and stares at you for a few moments before placing a coin towards the receptionist. He approached you and old Tom, and he said near you but closer to the fire as you could see that he was wet.

'Ah John, how have you been?'

'I've been alright, thank you, Tom, I've been busy, but I've been good'.

You avoid his gaze because you don't want to talk to him. Now that he was here, you act like you don't want to know him.

'Well, I'm glad you're keeping on your toes, anyway! It looks like you need to talk to (Y/N)'.

Oh hell no, don't leave me here with him!

You go to move, but Johns' large hand covers yours suddenly and you freeze, watching Tom leave. The crackling of the fire was all that was heard in the lobby.

'(Y/N), look-'.

'What is there to say, John?'

'I know you're confused, and I don't blame you. What I did wasn't right'.

You slowly pull away from him, so he wasn't meant to kiss me? You start to feel terrible because you thought there would be another time.

'Right, what you did wasn't right... Anyway, I have to go'.

'(Y/N) I-'.

'I'm done for the night, John; I'll see you around'.

You're quick to leave the lobby, but John follows you, '(Y/N), I didn't mean to do any harm, it's just-'.

You whirl around to face him, 'it's just what? John, what is it?' You press the button for the lift, 'you've kissed me twice, and this was after you went on about not letting go of the past just like last time'.
You hear the chime of the lift, and you hop in, not caring that John follows you in, '... You were right... I need to let go of the past-'.

'Oh wow, so what did I do now that made you suddenly think about it?'

'You... You made me realise what my life was like'.