Chapter 3

By the time you stop running, your shirt is drenched in blood. It had started raining, which had made your day worse. Your side feels like it's on fire, and you wouldn't be surprised if you fall ill very quickly. But you couldn't keep doing this, running around in the darkness, it was in the middle of the night, and you were lost, cold and vulnerable.

I can't do this.

You end up stumbling, and your hands come out to brace yourself. The ground is hard, and little rocks break your skin.

Gravel.

It didn't matter anymore; you were hurt, lost and most likely going to die. Not long after you close your eyes, though, a car light shines down on you. You're too far gone to hear the vehicle stop, the car door open and steady footsteps growing closer.

+

You find yourself in a bed, a comfy one for sure, when you came to.

Back home, how nice.

You close your eyes and try to go back to sleep, but you suddenly sit up only to wince in pain.

This isn't my place!

You look around the room to regain your bearings, but nothing comes to mind, and you're trying your best not to hyperventilate when you begin to remember what had happened with your sisters and those guards.

'Hey, you need to calm down'.

You look over to the door and freeze when you see someone you'd never thought you'd see.

'Oh shit, it's you'.

'Yeah, nice to see you too'.

John doesn't even smile as he brings a cup of water over to you, 'found you passed out on the side of the road'.

'Why didn't you leave me there?'

'Because I'm not a terrible person'.

You try not to laugh as you took the cup and gulp down the liquid, 'fucking hell', you try your best not to cry. It wasn't because you were dealing with John; it was because of your sisters. 

Betrayal.

They betrayed you and it hurt.

And you were confused.

John seemed to pick up on your behaviour, 'what happened?'

'Huh?

John pointed to your injury and you rolled your eyes, 'I got shot', John stared at you, and you suddenly felt a wave of regret roll over you. He wasn't into humour at all, 'I was with my sisters and... There was an ambush, and we were meant to grab some documents. My sisters turned on me, and I ended up getting shot'.

John raised his eyebrows in shock, 'Maia and Sarah turned on you?' You nodded and stared into the fireplace; the highlights of the flames made your eyes water. You stay silent for a while because what else was there to say... Only...

'Thank you for saving me'.

You feel John still staring at you, 'you're welcome'. He sighs and heads into the kitchen. The room is open planned, nothing like your room in The Continental.

'Did you want a tea or anything?'

'Hot chocolate?'

'I've got that'.

'That's a surprise; I was waiting for you to say no'.

You watch John bustle around the kitchen, and your stomach drops. How am I going to get through the night with John? He's far from happy to have me here... I'll be gone tomorrow morning.
You were dragged your dreamland when John placed the cup of hot chocolate on the small table in front of you. You winced when you tried to move and John sighed, 'unbutton your shirt please'.

'Huh?'

He motions towards your chest, 'your shirt, unbutton it', you glare at him and John returned the expression, 'do you want me to help you?'

Yes.

So you unbutton your shirt for him and you mentally curse when you feel your face grow hot. John grabs what looks like some sort of first aid kit. It would make sense that he would have that, after all, he was a professional hitman just like you were a professional hitwoman.

'I should've done this before your drink sorry'.

'It's too hot at the moment, we might as well get this over and done with'.

You look away from him and close your eyes when you hear him rustling through box.
The next fifteen minutes was excrutiating as you whimper in pain as John works through your injury. John hushes you as he tries his best to be gentle but every time he touched you it hurt. At one point your hand shoots out and grabs his wrist in order to stop him, 'hold on', you say weakly and John doesn't pull away in disgust or agitation. He just waits until you let go of him.

'Alright'.

You let him continue and grit your teeth but you finally scream as he begins to pull the bullet out. 
John is quick and you hear the sound of metal hit a plate and you know that he's taken the damn thing out. You lay there in a heap, trying to catch your breath as your world becomes fuzzy. You look over to see John grabbing some gauze and disinfectant. 
The pain isn't as bad as before but it still hurts but you make it through without crying this time.

'Alright, all done'.

You manage to hear John say and you breathe out a thank you before slumping down into the couch, 'still up for that drink?' John suddenly asked and you nod, 'yes please', you take the cup from him and began drinking. He's still staring at you as if he's trying to read you and you can't help but find it quite unnerving.

'Taste nice'.

You say, trying to make an easy comfortable conversation but John remains silent for a few moments before saying, 'you need to have a shower-'.

'Nope! I'll have it tomorrow'.

'Whatever you say'.

He grabs a comfy looking blanket and drapes it over you, 'I'll start a new fire, but I'm still going to keep the airconditioner on as well when it dies'.
He removes his jacket and begins shutting off the lights and turning the AC on but before he leaves you call out his name and he turns towards you.

'Thank you'.

He doesn't say anything, but he nods in response before leaving the room.

Asshole.