best friend

Anastassia frowns at her phone seeing her call to Mariah go to voicemail for the third time that week. It was now Wednessay and Mariah hadn't called her back or text her which wasn't like her at all.

Seeing as though Ana would be on a flight to Seattle tomorrow morning she needed to check in on her now or it would have to wait until she got back.

Whenever she got back.

Ana had a feeling she would end up staying there longer than anticipated.

She exits her car and walks up Mariah's steps knocking on the door. As she waits for her to open the door she looks around seeing her plants hadn't been watered recently or her grass cut. Mariah was into gardening so it took Ana by surprise these things hadn't been done. After a few minutes of not getting a response Ana bangs on the door again.

"She's at home, keep knocking." Ana hears a familiar voice speak from behind her.

"Hey Delores. You sure she's here?"

"Yup, hasn't left since last night. Went out and bought a bunch of ice cream... think she going through a heartbreak."

"A heartbreak?" Ana laughs. "I doubt that..."

"I know a heartbreak when I see one. She's all torn up over that man who showed up at her house about a month ago now. He was some good looking light skinned fella, covered in tattoos. I'd cry too if I lost him."

Ana furrows her brows and steps closer to Delores curious to see if the man covered in tattoos was Adonis. Her gut was telling her that it was.

"Can you describe this man anymore? His car or anything?"

"Oh yes girl, I can give you every detail."

Before Delores can get started Mariah, who had been watching from her living room window opens the door and rushes over to Ana.

"Hey..." she says. "Come on in. Thanks Delores have a good afternoon."

"Alrighty. Ana, let me know if you wanna know more about Mariah's little boyfriend."

"Oh I will." Ana smiles before waving goodbye and following behind Mariah into her home. "What boyfriend is she going on about?"

"I told her he wasn't my boyfriend. Just a guy I had a thing with...."

"Light skinned, tattoos. What's his name by the way?" Ana questions while making herself comfortble on the couch.

"His name is Maurice." Mariah says hoping Ana wouldn't put two and two together.

"Maurice... as in Adonis Maurice? Or just Maurice?"

"Just Maurice."

Ana nods and looks away from Mariah, suddenly feeling some kind of way. She had come over to check on her best friend, now it might turn into something more.

"Are you lying to me Mariah?"

"No." Mariah sniffles before sitting next to Ana. "Why would I lie to you? I've never dealt with Adonis like that. It's just a coincidence that his name just so happens to be Adonis's middle name."

"Yeah... he has his middle name as a first name and is also tatted and light skinned."

"Ana we live in LA. Every man is tatted and light skinned, come on now."

"That's true." Ana shrugs. "But... every light skin that's tatted doesn't know you and considering you were calling Adonis at one point I do have my suspicions."

"It's just a conincidence."

"You of all people know I don't believe in those." Ana says with her arms folded across her chest. "If you did mess with him just say it. I can't control what happened before me..."

"I never dealt with him, like I said don't make this into something that it's not."

"If I call Adonis right now he's going to tell me that the two of you never dealt with one another?"

"I don't know what his lying ass is going to say. But if that makes you feel better Ana call him I don't care." Mariah shrugs secretly hoping that Ana wouldn't call him. Because like she said, she had no idea what Adonis was going to say.

"Kay." Ana pulls out her phone and dials Adonis's number. She puts the phone on speaker and Mariah sits nervously hoping and praying that Adonis would not answer.

"What up baby? What you need I'm a little busy." Adonis says.

"I'll make it quick. Tell me again what you and Mariah had going on, cause I'm getting two different stories."

"I know good and damn well you not calling me talking about Mariah ass."

"I sure am. Answer my question Adonis."

"You with her right now?" He ask.

"Why does that matter?"

"Just answer my question Ana, I don't have time for none of this shit. I especially don't have time for you to be playing."

"I'm with her." Ana says with attitude.

Silence comes from his end of the phone as both women wait in anticipation for his answer. Adonis can be heard blowing out a loud breath before answering.

"We ain't have shit going on. I told you I barely know that fucking girl."

"I don't believe either one of y'all." Ana says seriously. "One or both y'all is lying and when I find out who it is somebody is getting fucked up."

"Ana watch who the fuck you talking to. I gotta go, when you get out here tomorrow we gone have a serious talk about Mariah and that funky ass attitude you been having lately. Fuck off my line." He says before hanging up on Anastassia.

Ana tosses her phone into her bag and stands pulling her coat back on to her body. She no longer cared how Mariah was doing, she wanted to get as far away from her as she could right now because something wasn't right.

"Ana!" Mariah's calls from behind her as she opened the front door. "It's really not what you're thinking."

"Whatever. I'm done talking about it. I just came over here to make sure you were good now ima go."

Mariah reaches out and grabs her hand causing Ana to turn and look at her.

"You know I would never do you like that. Im your best friend, have been since the third grade. I love you." Mariah says lowly while looking into her eyes. "Don't let Adonis come between us."

"I wouldn't let him come between us. But if you're lying to me this friendship is over. I can't trust you and you know I can't have people around I don't trust." Ana responds. "Promise me you're telling me the truth. Nothing has ever happened between you two? Nothing at all?"

"I promise... nothing has happened."

Ana nods slowly and hugs Mariah tightly. Mariah let's a few tears fall as they hug one another feeling terrible for lying to Anastassia. She knew she couldn't tell her the truth because Ana would cut her off immediately. Having Ana in her life was the best thing that had happened to her, she was her sister.

Ana was the only real friend she had and the last thing she needed was to be alone at this point in her life.

"Call me once you're settled in Seattle?"

"I will."

"I love you."

"I love you too."