Chapter 18 - Natalia was ripped from Away

"Natalia came before the red room

"Natalia came before the red room. They ripped her away from me."
Song: Hirts like Hell by Fleurie, Tommee Profitt

Bruce walks out of the bathroom and sees Nat waiting. "I didn't realize you were waiting." Bruce looks at her. "I would've joined you, but uh, it didn't seem like the right time." Nat says. "They used up all the hot water." Nat smiles. "I should've joined you." Nat smirks. "Missed our window." Bruce smiles. "Did we?" Nat looks at Bruce. "The world just saw the Hulk. The real Hulk, for the first time. You know I have to leave." Bruce looks away. "But you assume that I have to stay? I had this, um, dream. The kind that seems normal at the time, but when you wake..." Nat looks down. "What did you dream?" He asks. "That I was an Avenger. That I was anything more than the assassin they made me." She sighs. "I think you're being hard on yourself." Bruce looks at her with sadness in his eyes. "Here I was hoping that was your job." Nat steps closer to Bruce. "What are you doing?" He asks. "I'm running with it, with you. If running's the plan, as far as you want." She gets closer with Bruce. "Are you out of your mind?" He steps away. "I want you to understand that I'm..." Bruce cuts her off. "Natasha, where can I go? Where in the world am I not a threat?" Bruce says. "You're not a threat to me." Nat looks at him. "You sure? Even if I didn't just... there's no future with me. I can't ever... I can't have this, kids. Do the math, I physically can't." Bruce's looks aggravated. "Neither can I. In the Red Room, where I was trained, where I was raised, um, they have a graduation ceremony. They sterilize you. It's efficient. One less thing to worry about. The one thing that might matter more than a mission. It makes everything easier. Even killing. You still think you're the only monster on the team? Natalia came before the red room. They ripped her away from me." Nat says in a whisper. "What, so we disappear?" Bruce asks.

Natalia POV

"Thor didn't say where he was going?" I ask Dad. "Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception." He shrugs. "Yeah, give him time. We don't know what the Maximoff kid showed him." Tony butts in. "Earth's Mightiest Heroes." Pulled us apart like cotton candy." He keeps chopping. "Seems like you both walked away all right." Dad shrugs. "I've dealt with worse with Wanda." I say, but dad looks at Tony frustrated. "Is that a problem?" I roll my eyes.
"I don't trust a guy without a dark side. Call me old fashioned." I snicker at the comment. "Well let's just say you haven't seen it yet." Dad says still chipping away at the wood. "You know Ultron is trying to tear us apart, right?" Tony looks at Dad and I. "Well I guess you'd know. Whether you tell us is a bit of a question." I answer. "Banner and I were doing research." I roll my eyes. "That would affect the team." I add. "That would end the team. Isn't that the mission? Isn't that the "why" we fight, so we can end the fight, so we get to go home?" I look at Dad. " Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time." I look at Dad and he looks away.
"Hey Tony? Can you fix the tractor?" Tony nods and leaves. "Don't take from my pile." I roll my eyes and shrug him off.

To be continued...
A/n: reason why Natasha is so protective over her daughter