utsui sought out his help because she knows that he's the only one capable of bringing ymari's vision to life. he even launched ad campaigns already, which ymari funded through her bank account that they linked earlier.

"it's fine, you don't have to pay me—" sakurai immediately started, but was abruptly cut off by the shorter girl.

"i'll bring you the money tomorrow." ymari bowed at a 45 degree angle. "arigato."

utsui stifled a laugh, while sakurai just blushed and stuttered furiously as he went to tell ymari that it was unnecessary to do such.

after a while, the three were making their way to the cafeteria for late lunch. it was already half past one in the afternoon, and sakurai had to go to his basketball club in a bit but they all hadn't had any lunch yet.

"order whatever you want." ymari, elated and a bit excited from what miracle just occured in the computer room, commanded.

the two, knowing she wouldn't take no for an answer, went ahead to order their lunches.

the three sat down on an empty cafeteria table. there weren't many people in the cafeteria. most were just people who missed out on their meal for an hour like them.

"i'm curious though.." sakurai said after a while, as he ate his lasagna.

he looked at ymari, "you're really taking the girlfriend thing to the professional league?"

ymari looked up from her double bacon cheeseburger. she swallowed her food and nodded. "yeah."

"but what about child labor? don't you think your aunt would be sued for it if the government finds out and mistakes it for her forcing you to work?" sakurai started to ask trivial questions.

"i've got that part covered." utsui leaned against her seat. "mom's a lawyer and dad's tec's ceo. we'll get her out of any trouble she gets into— both ymari and her aunt are like family to us."

tec stands for tokyo energy corporation, which the futakuchi family owns, by the way.

"then there's nothing to worry about then." sakurai smiled at ymari. "i wish you luck."

ymari nodded at the sincerity of the boys wishes. "domo."

-

by the time it struck five in the afternoon, utsui had gone through most of the players who were vying for the team. and to their surprise, what they thought was only going to be about twenty players to screen, turned out to be more than fifty.

there were more than fifty basketball players in the gym, all wanting to be part of the legendary team of hakuou led by the daughter of the late divine shooter.

and all of them held promising talent, good teamwork, and decent attitudes.

utsui and the remaining third years on the roster were doing all the physical skill screening while ymari ticked them off the list one by one through the preliminaries she had them do beforehand.

and what was the preliminaries, you ask?

if you're going to guess their score track record in basketball or their body mass index..

you're wrong.

because what she has in her hands are..

"she goes by she.. but not her, because she will never be her..?" she cluelessly read off one application.

are the personal information and previous team captain ratings of each player.

she asked for their names, ages, birthdays, pronouns, gender, and lastly.. the impressions of their previous team captains on them.