Macaque x reader music to the soul

Today had been painful for you in every conceivable way. Family fights before school, bullies at school, and dropping your phone in the river on the walk home after school.

Today was the anniversary alright, your own personal Friday the 13th. The anniversary of your mother's death threw you off your game every year. You had thought the third year or maybe the fourth would be the end of the heartache, now eight years later you would still cry yourself to sleep at night.

She had died of natural causes when you were only 12. Yet it stung just the same as it had all those years ago.

Your friend, Macaque, knew nothing about it. You hadn't wanted to trouble him with the emotional baggage. After all, he was still healing from his own.

You closed the door to your home and tossed your bag on the couch. If you couldn't talk to anyone about it, you'd sing. It had been your release, your therapy. And you knew just the song.

You walked to your living room and sat at the piano. You set your fingers to the keys, and unleashed the melody.

Macaque hadn't seen you in days, and you hadn't picked up your phone when he called you after school. now he was annoyed.

One of his biggest pet peeves was being ignored. It was like abandonment all over again. He wouldn't stand for that, not again.

He'd been busy for a while and he had assumed things were fine. But when you didn't pick up the first time, he got annoyed. The second and third times had made him confused and irritated. For your sake he almost hoped something had happened.

Macaque parkoured from rooftop to rooftop trying to get to your apartment. Maybe there would be clues there. And maybe, just maybe he'd get lucky and find you. However doubtful that was.

When your house came into view he pushed himself to move faster. Finally he landed on your balcony with a thud.

And there you were. Peacefully playing your piano without a care in the world.

Macaque blew out a sigh of frustration, but his tail eased it's agitated flicking. Then he reached for the window. When he got in there you were going to get the scolding of your life.

But just before Macaque's hand could touch the window, he froze.

Your voice drifted through the glass, and his jaw dropped at the sound. It was beautiful and in perfect harmony with the piano.

Although lovely; your voice caused hiss tail to flick agitatedly again. You sounded so mournful, so heartbroken. Suddenly, scolding you seemed a bad idea. 

Maybe he could get you to talk to him about it later. For now atleast, he wanted to hear this, to hear you. So, Macaque did what he did best. He opened the window silently, shut it behind him, then vanished into the shadows.

You hadn't noticed a thing outside of your melody. Every note resonated in your soul, and your heart felt as though it was a little less broken.

"I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone. But though you're still with me, I've been alone; all alone." You sang feeling tears brim in your eyes. It wasn't exactly true. You had Macaque. You allowed that truth to comfort you.

Macaque flinched at the latest verse. It wasn't offensive, no. It simply hit a little too close to home. He knew that feeling all too well.

When you finished he watched you wipe at your eyes then relax some. Now seemed a good moment to intervene.

Macaque painted on a smirk, and started to clap.

You jumped in your seat with a startled squeak, before whirling around.