CHAPTER ONE PT - 1

Beginne am Anfang

And, the fight for their favorite guests, began.

* * * * *

HEARING the crinkle of crinoline under her own bright yellow dress, Sumre reached to snatch another doll from the dollhouse table, feeling the sting of Sunday's hand slap her in anger. "Oh no you don't, he's mine."

"Who says?" Reeling back in horror, Sumre pouted, rubbing the already reddening skin of her wrist. "I got here first. And, you don't care for them like I do."

"Liar, do too!" Sticking her tongue out childishly at her identical twin, Sundae was firm. Every time they threw a party stupid Sumre was like this. Fighting with her was like ushering in the dawn.

Glancing over at the dining table already set for guests, it was evident the sudden snowstorm would mess with the attendance. This time last year the weather had cooperated and it had been a Garden Party.

Much more fun, instead of being cooped up in the confines of the stuffy, antique dining room.

Reluctantly giving in to her sister's scolding, Sumre dropped the smiling, dark-headed doll by the leg, lifting a different one from the lineup. Studying his bright, reddish-tinted hair critically, she barked, "Well, obviously he can't come. He needs to dye that awful hair first and take a bath. Gross. Don't you just hate it?" Her disgust evident she casually dumped him into the small, claw-foot tub at the end of the tiny second-floor bedroom.

Amused, Sundae lifted the first doll chuckling as she cradled him between her long, manicured fingers. "You're ridiculous. I thought he was your favorite? He's the one you play with the most, make up your mind."

"Do not," came Sumre's whiny denial. "All I did was take him outside the other day before the storm hit to help me plant tulip bulbs. Now he's filthy. I don't do dirt."

"Well, not my fault. I have my two choices. And, NO tradsies this time." Sighing, Sundae rolled her eyes holding the doll to her breast possessively. He had been her first choice last year as well and his faux painted-on abs looked so amazing (even though she'd used up the only black marker in the house to achieve it).

Ahhh, last year had been the best, she thought. Maybe there would be good karma surrounding this event if she invited the same two young men again. Sister could suck it. She was never satisfied. Unlike herself who thrived on repetition and simplicity.

Turning side-wise, she watched the annoyingly pristine girl (quietly singing, 'Happy Birthday to me') maneuvering a blonde-headed doll into a sitting position, plunking him at the teeny desk facing the back-bedroom window.

"Go ahead, make Mr. Sassy dye his hair. I guess you're going to do whatever you want. You always do. He's the one who spoiled everything last year anyway, not one of mine." Her voice curt and laced with innuendos, Sundae skimmed her fingers lovingly over the white, button-down shirt of her favorite doll. Staring into his face she bent, kissing his miniature, heart-shaped lips (enhanced with red lipstick).

Sumre balked, throwing her hands up in frustration. "Since you're being so possessive this year, you leave me no choice. I'll have to give him another chance."

"I suppose you will." Licking her lips in satisfaction, Sundae rose stretching. "Come, before we're late. It's time." Attempting to resist the urge to light the candles on the cake as she walked by she nudged Sumre muttering harshly, "MY turn this year."

"NO." Squealing loudly, Sumre jumped away from the doll house, careening across the floor in her bare feet, headed toward the lighter, beside the three-tiered cake. "I did it THAT year. You can't change it now. NO . . . NO . . . NO!"