The dead and dying [2]

"W-what are you d-doing?"

I quickly stand up as a blush creeps onto my face. Ahhhh, so embarrassing. I cleared my throat.

"Ahem! I was just educating the children of a story"

"Ha ha ha! Hey hey sister did you see how dumb he looked!"

"When he talked slow it really seemed like how a tortoise would talk, he looked ridiculous!"

Brats. All children are brats.

"Yule you were... telling the children a story?"

"Yes."

"A-and, you acted it out?"

"Y-yes."

"And they found it funny?"

"Yes?"

Nel finally had a look of realization come across her face and then she smiled.

"Wow Yule! I never knew you were so good with children, that's such a big relief!"

"Huh?"

"Hmm?"

"Why is it a relief to you that I'm good with children?"

Nel stared blankly at me for a moment, then her entire face went red and she tried to hide it with her hands.

"Hkk! U-uh, um, t-thats, I was just worried is all..."

As I was about to speak up again I felt somebody grab my shoulders. I turn to see my dad looking at me intensely.

"Yule. I always told you to be nice to girls, what have you done to this fine young lady to make her blush you fiend of a son!"

I facepalmed hearing my father.

"Oh! No, no it's not like that mister. I'm Yule's friend from school, we're friends, friends!"

My dad paused for a moment then stared blankly at Nel, then looked at me, he looked back at Nel then back at me, then he smiled slyly.

"Hohh, friends ehhhhhh? Hey, todays a beautiful day, how about we go get some drawings of us done in the town square, there are usually freelance artists there."

"Oh, oh! I'm free, that sounds like fun!"

"Ehh, sounds t-"

I felt my dads grip on my shoulders tighten and I turn to look at him. The look on his face somehow said 'I'm trying to help you' and 'are you an idiot' at the same time. I quickly swallow my previous words.

"...F-fun, that sounds fun yea."

"Great! Let's go then, Yule, be a man and help this fine young lady carry her basket."

"Oh, right, here Nel gives me those."

Nel blushed a bit then nodded and handed me the basket. Weird, why was Nel blushing so much today, was it because I looked stupid when I was acting out the story, is she embarrassed of having to be near me!?! Ugh, I'm never telling a story again.