A Blade to cut [2]

Clang!

Clang!

Moments later a black arrow clangs against my plate armor, if I hadn't been there that arrow would have hit Zera for sure. I yell out behind me.

"Watch out Zera! There are archers around, stay close!"

"Jeez! This isn't the kind of attention I wanted... Did you see where the shot came from?"

"Not clearly, but I'll be ready for the next one."

Twang!

I hear another bow string sound out, I can clearly see the arrow this time. Hk! No good, they are aiming for my defenseless head, however, it's too slow. I subconsciously use a movement ingrained into my muscles from years of training and battles. I draw my sword in a blur and cleave the arrow mid air.

I smile fiercely into the distance. That was close, but I've got you now scum.

"I see them Zera! 100 yards ahead at the base of that tree."

"Got it! Leave it to me."

Twangs of the bow sound again but now that I know where they are I can easily cut down the arrows. Zera steps out from behind me and clasps her hands together and begins to chant, lightning begins to spark around her hands as her cloak flutters from an unseen power.

"Great lord Paragon, God of Purging, I beseech you to uphold your contract as I uphold mine. Grant me thy power to strike down the corrupt! Burn the wicked! Cleanse the unclean! Grant me thy purging shock!"

Zera's arms shoot out and from them a lightning bolt surges forward crying out with a thunderous roar. For a brief moment the night sky is lit up but then the lightning quickly finds its target. The tree, and any archers around it, are blown to bits, nothing but a scorched crater remains. No more bow shots follow.

Lightning still crackles a bit around Zera but her cloak settles down, her face is calm and collected, no joy or hate is found on it. Hmph, emotionless as always when it comes to battle.

"Zera your chants take too long, one of these days it will get you killed."

"Nonsense, all power comes with its price. And besides, I have the cute Blade to protect me."

She winked at me. Pfffft this girl.

I scoff back. "Hmph! Think you got the archers?"

"Of course, no foe can escape the purging bolt of my lord, they are most certainly destroyed, may their cleansed souls rest in peace."

Zera clasps her hands together and offers a brief Holy Empire style prayer.

Yea, those archers are definitely dead, even I would struggle to take that strike head on. Zera's contract grants her strong spells from the God of purging, but stronger spells usually require longer chants to call them out, that's why she's no good in close combat.