Horrors beyond the blade.

"About half a day after Yule left, the border guard normal army had finally reached border town Itzes

"About half a day after Yule left, the border guard normal army had finally reached border town Itzes. Despite fighting an exhausting battle at the border just days before they had set out and marched through the night determined to reach the town in time."

"They had expected their hard work to pay off, that they would be able to make it in time, that they could save the townsfolk. They were wrong, the only thing waiting to greet them at Itzes was carrion birds and the rotting smell of decaying bodies."

"Soldiers walked numbly through the bloody streets of Itzes, everywhere they looked dead townsfolk lay. They searched desperately for some survivors but they found none."

"Luna and Zera stood side by side in the townsquare where scores of townsfolk lay punctured with black arrows, the same black arrows they had seen at the border attack."

"Slowly Luna walked over to the fountain in the center, the fountain itself had a couple bloated bodies floating in the red water. She stared at the fountain for a moment then something near her foot caught her attention. It was a piece of parchment folded neatly, one corner was covered with dry blood. She picked it up and unfolded it."

"It was a picture."

"A picture of a boy and girl who sat close together on the fountain in front of her. They were looking away from each other but she could tell that they were obviously enjoying the proximity. She realized this picture must have been drawn the day of the attack, maybe even moments before. She lightly touched the picture and wondered to herself, were the people in this picture dead as well?"

"Luna gently sat on the edge of the fountain and looked up at the heavens as she thought to herself."

"Was this... all her own fault?"

"From a distance Zera stared at Luna with a worried expression, she could tell something had changed in Luna ever since the border attack, something was eating away at her friend."

-----

"Zera, do you think any survived?"

"I'm sure some got away. We've tallied up the dead, only about seven-hundred are accounted for, three-hundred are still missing."

"Pravus said they would capture some and offer them to join. Maybe the rest have already joined by now or been sacrificed."

"We've sent some scouts to follow their tracks into the woods, they should be back shortly to report."

A long moment of silence passed between us as neither of us had anything to say. We had failed our duty of border guard in every sense.

I slowly folded the picture I had been holding and put it into my pocket. Then I turned to look at Zera, she was holding her hands together nervously shooting glances at me, obviously she wanted to say something to me.