Chapter 7 - Sitting Next to Sandy in a Church Meeting

The next day, we all went to church, and we tried to get Sandy to come with us as well. I wondered where he went the previous Sunday. I had no idea.

"Okay, I'm ready," I said and turned around to face Eve. Amelia was already out at her own church meeting. She was a Christian like Eve and Sandy, but a different denomination. I was just a Christian, meaning I believed in God and Jesus. I wasn't part of any specific sect.

"Oh my goodness, Katie!" Eve gushed as I faced her. "You look absolutely beautiful."

I tightened the little bow on the pink dress Eve let me borrow. I had seen grandmas wear dresses like this in my time, but it was pretty. I smiled at her complement. "Thank you. You look very pretty, too. I can see why Dick's so crazy about you."

She had on a white dress that was similar to mine, with a light-blue ribbon around the waist. It brought out her eyes. She blushed at what I said and smacked my arm. "Oh, come now, there are other reasons."

"I know, I'm just saying."

We got on our coats, and Eve grabbed her black purse. "I'm sure the man you eventually marry will think the same thing about you."

"I sure hope so."

We giggled and left the room. As we walked down the hallway, we saw other girls going out in their Sunday best. I told Eve, "When I was growing up, I always loved dressing up for Church on Sundays. I was a girly girl back then, up until I started climbing mountains all the time. Well, I guess I still am, when I'm not on a mountain."

We came to the old wooden staircase and started going down, and my curly hair bounced as we went. "Really? I never asked about your religious beliefs last Sunday. What denomination?"

"Christian, or, my family are Catholics, but I never really considered myself a Catholic. I'm only a Christian."

"So, you believe in God and Christ, and that is it?"

"Of course there's more to it, but... to put it shortly, yes."

"I see. You don't mind going to the Catholic church, then? As you know, it's not in an actual church, just one of the larger classrooms at Merton where students gather from the Oxford colleges, but that is something, right?"

It was the same place we went to the week before. "Of course. It doesn't matter whether it's in an actual church or in someone's living room, a place of worship is a place of worship."

"I agree."

We came outside and walked down the path to Merton. We found some girls and walked with them down the road. As we came closer to the college, we passed some guys. They looked at the group of us girls, five of us in all, and offered to walk with us.

"Careful, boys," said one girl whose name was Meredith, and she was a pretty brunette, "this young lady here is engaged."

"Oh, we know," said one blonde boy, "the sister of the legendary Sandy Irvine. We all know the story."

"Hold on, Sandy is legendary already?" I asked, surprised.

"Indeed. Do you not know about how he made this school a champion in rowing?"

Oh, that was why he said that. "Yes, I know. I just thought that he was only a celebrity because of that, not a legend."

"He will be," commented a black-haired boy with tan skin, "especially after he goes to Everest."

"I'm right jealous of him because of that," said the blonde boy. "I wish I could go with him. I have as much mountaineering experience as he does, which is next to none."